View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
dIMU questions 

Location: The plateau north of the Ohio River Valley, also known as Cave Country.
Post dIMU questions
Hi. I have the DI dIMU I recently acquired and have a few questions about its use.

1. If I fire up the gyro and accel in a program, that program ends, and I run another program, do I have to fire up them again?

2. If I configure it wile it's not still or is tilted, it gives faulty readings. is there a foolproof way to perfectly configure it(without having the sensor still and level)?

3. Is there a way to switch the accuracy & range mode (say, 2G to 4G) without reconfiguring the accel?

4. When I turn on my NXT, the power LED comes on and stays on. Is there a way to control its behavior(turn it off and on)?

5. If I am stepping through my code by using the debugger, when I reach a dIMU function it steps into all the sub-procedures used in it. I know I can use the step out button to bypass this, but is there a preference I can change that keeps me from ever entering them at all?

I use Mr. Soldaat's drivers (dexterind-imu.h and common.h).

Thanks and all help will be appreciated.

-Coder A

Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:25 pm
Expert

Post Re: dIMU questions
1: It only needs to be configured once per power-up, but Xander's ROBOTC drivers might rely on it being configured at the start of every program (to set variables etc.).

2: The actual configuration process is irrelevant to it's position and motion. I'm guessing that Xander's drivers automatically calibrate it, and don't just configure it. This is a matter of the SW/drivers, and not the HW.

3: Switching accelerometer modes is re-configuring it. Note however, that the range mode only determines which 8 of the 10 bits get returned. Unless you have a need for ultra-high speed, there is no reason to even use the range settings. Just use the full 10-bit option.

4: The LED is constantly on. It indicates that the module is powered.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:39 pm
Profile WWW

Coder A wrote:
1. If I fire up the gyro and accel in a program, that program ends, and I run another program, do I have to fire up them again?

Yeah, that would be wise, it's the only fool-proof way to ensure the sensors are properly configured.
Quote:
2. If I configure it wile it's not still or is tilted, it gives faulty readings. is there a foolproof way to perfectly configure it(without having the sensor still and level)?

This is expected behaviour. It would be like trying to measure the length of a horse that is running away from you.
Quote:
3. Is there a way to switch the accuracy & range mode (say, 2G to 4G) without reconfiguring the accel?

No, because that also configures the divisor, which is used internally.
Quote:
4. When I turn on my NXT, the power LED comes on and stays on. Is there a way to control its behavior(turn it off and on)?

Yes, by switching off your NXT or smashing the light with a hammer. I would not recommend the latter and the former will make it more difficult to use the sensor and NXT.
Quote:
5. If I am stepping through my code by using the debugger, when I reach a dIMU function it steps into all the sub-procedures used in it. I know I can use the step out button to bypass this, but is there a preference I can change that keeps me from ever entering them at all?

I don't know, tbh :)
Quote:
I use Mr. Soldaat's drivers (dexterind-imu.h and common.h).

You can call me Xander, only police officers and bank employees call me that.

= Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:43 am
Profile WWW

Location: The plateau north of the Ohio River Valley, also known as Cave Country.
Thanks for the answers! I've only had this sensor for two months and it is my first 3rd party sensor, so I'm still getting used to it. It's a bummer that I can't control the LED. I don't work as a banker or officer, so Xander it is!

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]