ROBOTC.net forums
http://www.robotc.net/forums/

dIMU questions
http://www.robotc.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=5487
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Coder A [ Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:25 pm ]
Post subject:  dIMU questions

Hi. I have the DI dIMU I recently acquired and have a few questions about its use.

1. If I fire up the gyro and accel in a program, that program ends, and I run another program, do I have to fire up them again?

2. If I configure it wile it's not still or is tilted, it gives faulty readings. is there a foolproof way to perfectly configure it(without having the sensor still and level)?

3. Is there a way to switch the accuracy & range mode (say, 2G to 4G) without reconfiguring the accel?

4. When I turn on my NXT, the power LED comes on and stays on. Is there a way to control its behavior(turn it off and on)?

5. If I am stepping through my code by using the debugger, when I reach a dIMU function it steps into all the sub-procedures used in it. I know I can use the step out button to bypass this, but is there a preference I can change that keeps me from ever entering them at all?

I use Mr. Soldaat's drivers (dexterind-imu.h and common.h).

Thanks and all help will be appreciated.



-Coder A

Author:  mattallen37 [ Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dIMU questions

1: It only needs to be configured once per power-up, but Xander's ROBOTC drivers might rely on it being configured at the start of every program (to set variables etc.).

2: The actual configuration process is irrelevant to it's position and motion. I'm guessing that Xander's drivers automatically calibrate it, and don't just configure it. This is a matter of the SW/drivers, and not the HW.

3: Switching accelerometer modes is re-configuring it. Note however, that the range mode only determines which 8 of the 10 bits get returned. Unless you have a need for ultra-high speed, there is no reason to even use the range settings. Just use the full 10-bit option.

4: The LED is constantly on. It indicates that the module is powered.

Author:  mightor [ Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: dIMU questions

Coder A wrote:
1. If I fire up the gyro and accel in a program, that program ends, and I run another program, do I have to fire up them again?

Yeah, that would be wise, it's the only fool-proof way to ensure the sensors are properly configured.
Quote:
2. If I configure it wile it's not still or is tilted, it gives faulty readings. is there a foolproof way to perfectly configure it(without having the sensor still and level)?

This is expected behaviour. It would be like trying to measure the length of a horse that is running away from you.
Quote:
3. Is there a way to switch the accuracy & range mode (say, 2G to 4G) without reconfiguring the accel?

No, because that also configures the divisor, which is used internally.
Quote:
4. When I turn on my NXT, the power LED comes on and stays on. Is there a way to control its behavior(turn it off and on)?

Yes, by switching off your NXT or smashing the light with a hammer. I would not recommend the latter and the former will make it more difficult to use the sensor and NXT.
Quote:
5. If I am stepping through my code by using the debugger, when I reach a dIMU function it steps into all the sub-procedures used in it. I know I can use the step out button to bypass this, but is there a preference I can change that keeps me from ever entering them at all?

I don't know, tbh :)
Quote:
I use Mr. Soldaat's drivers (dexterind-imu.h and common.h).

You can call me Xander, only police officers and bank employees call me that.

= Xander

Author:  Coder A [ Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dIMU questions

Thanks for the answers! I've only had this sensor for two months and it is my first 3rd party sensor, so I'm still getting used to it. It's a bummer that I can't control the LED. I don't work as a banker or officer, so Xander it is!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/