View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
More About Color Sensor 
Rookie

Post More About Color Sensor
Hi.
I've the Color Sensor from hitechnic and once I've learned how to work with I2C it's quite easy to manage and program.

The only problem I find is that surfaces need to be very close to the sensor for detect the color correctly (about 2cm). Is there any solution for making it work with further surfaces? Or is that a problem of the sensor itself??

Thanks a lot.

Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 pm

Post Re: More About Color Sensor
Hi uPaLuPa,

The color sensor works best if it is very close to the object its reading, its because the sensor reads reflected lights that bounces back from an object. The farther the object is, the light is more likely to bounce and miss the receiver. Also, the farther away you are from the desired object, you will receive light from other objects or lights in the room and will mess up your results.

One way to solve it would be use very shiny or larger objects, these will bounce more light back.

Random idea hehehe. You may be able to use a lens to focus light back to the color sensors receiver if you really need range. There is a really neat .gif picture on this page that demonstrates my idea, could capture allot more light and shine it to the reciever.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_(optics)

Good luck with your project, hope this sheds some light lol ;-)

Scott B-)

My Robot Projects:
http://www.freewebs.com/robotprojects/

Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:05 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]