View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
please release a MacOS X version of your fantastic IDE 
Rookie

Post please release a MacOS X version of your fantastic IDE
MacOS X is widely used in European engineering schools/universities. There is a huge potential.

Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:06 am
Rookie

Post Re: please release a MacOS X version of your fantastic IDE
It's time to take Mac OS X seriously. OS X is a mainstream OS with mainstream users. Windows variants on the other hand are . . . :wink:

Simon :roll:

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:48 am

If you take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_shar ... ng_systems, you'll see that OSX is ~9%, whereas Windows makes up ~70%. If you disregard the mobile platforms, it's an even bigger market share. If you had to invest your time and effort in a platform, which would you pick?
Quote:
Analyst Charlie Wolf of Needham & Co. has stated that in 2011 Apple broke 5% of global desktop market share for the first time.[6]
Net Applications has estimated global desktop market share of Windows 92.2%, Apple 6.36%, Linux 1.41%.

I think you're more likely to see ROBOTC available for additional robotics platforms than additional OS platforms in the future.

= Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:37 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

Statistics only reflect a point in time, they really don't determine outcomes. Looking ahead I wonder how many Windows XP users will be upgrading to Windows 8 by default or migrating to something else? In my case the latter is now the reality. I've called it a day with MS on all fronts and feel overall it was a sound decision. Not perfect by any means! But a sound decision overall. It will be interesting to see if others feel the same about Windows 8. I suspect some do and so Microsoft's massive advertising campaign in the US seems to confirm the latter is more the case. That is, the expected on-mass migration of users to yet another Windows platform may not be going quite according to plan. Although it's still early days, one could surmise it's as though users have been waiting and hoping MS will really pull something our of the box with Windows 8 but now the wrapping has come off??? The reviews of Windows 8 seem very, very mixed and this can't be helping the Windows 8 image.
I'm certainly not an Apple Mac / OS X zealot. Seriously, given the option, I'd be using Linux in a flash. Through VMware Fusion I do still use Windows XP Pro where I have no choice (RobotC is literally my last Windows application, once MS or RobotC is no longer supported under Windows XP, that is it!).
And mobile devices are on the rise; and why not? When my mobile device has enough processing power to drive any sized external monitor I can hook into it one seriously starts to question (maybe other than storage capacity) the need for a desktop computing experience. The days of the desktop computer are dwindling rapidly as processors continue become more powerful, compact and energy efficient.

This is just some -- maybe way-out -- crustal ball gazing on my part but it seems to me MS is not very well positioned for the future of computing and I'd like RobotC to take this request seriously.

Checkout
http://www.bendbulletin.com/article/201 ... pfeatblock

NB: Just as a side. If Apple were to ever open up and allow the use of development applications on its mobile devices this would be a very strong case in favor of the original request. Given the mobile nature of the market for RobotC (robotics deals with devices which are inherently mobile) this would be a serious win opportunity for RobotC!!! All hypothetical of course but then again...

Simon :roll:

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:11 pm
Rookie

Mac OSX is taken seriously. By a few people. The major part of the world's infrustructure runs on Windows platforms, you will not change that quickly.

I use mac, but I develop software for Windows users, because to make money out of selling mac products I would have to make them stupidly expensive, like the others.

Supply and Demand.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:28 am
Rookie

I'd like to add my request for a version of RobotC that's usable in MacOSX or Linux. I'd be happy simply to be able to use it from the command line. I'm mostly interested in being able to take advantage of the concurrent programming capabilities.

Regarding arguments against a MacOSX based on its "marketshare", the number of MacOSX systems in use by this products' target customer base is much greater than numbers tossed around above. I'll concede that Windows still dominates in office environments, but among my technical and creative colleagues, there are more Macs in use nowadays than Windows machines. (I work in scientific software development.) Similarly, among my kids' classmates' parents, at least a third are using Mac laptops. I hope you're aware of this and recognize that you're leaving an increasingly large number of potential customers out by not supporting OSX.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]