View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
robot with 10" wheels 
Rookie

Post robot with 10" wheels
What battery for a robot with 10" wheels, and how do I connect wheels to motors? I am working on a robot with 10 inch wheels. How should I connect the tires (almost identical to car tires) to the motors? I will most likely have to use gears to increase the mechanical efficiency. In addition, how should I build a platform for these wheels?

Last edited by aaneetha on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:55 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: robot with 10" wheels
Hi aaneetha,
Note that these forums are for issues with ROBOTC programming language and related products; mostly this is used to control table top-sized robots, but there's no reason why you couldn't use it with an Arduino or VEX Cortex to control higher power-rated speed controllers.

The mechanical interface between motor and drivetrain and wheel will be highly dependent on the specific components you're using. If there's nothing available off-the-shelf, you may have to look into machining something custom.

The battery required will depend on the amperage draw of the motors you use. For the scale you're talking about, people usually use sealed lead acid (SLA) batteries - usually either 12V, 24V, or 36V. You'll have to calculate the amp-hour rating of the battery based on the power requirements of your system and how long you want it to run on a single battery charge. For an overview of battery technologies, check out this page; in general, resources on combat robots will probably be the most readily-available source of information for this scale of robot.

We are not affiliated with them, but you may want to check out the products at Robot Marketplace. They have robotics components that are suited for the scale of robot it sounds like you're trying to build. They sell mechanical couplers for certain lines of 10" wheels - YMMV. You can also check out FIRST Robotics Competition suppliers like AndyMark or VEX Pro

Best,
--Ryan

Robot Potato Head; Virtual NXT

Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]