View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Light-following robot 
Rookie

Post Light-following robot
I just finished my first complicated robot and got it programmed using ROBOTC. Thanks a lot for the effort on this guys, this project wouldn't have been practical at all without a real programming interface. :D

I have a project page up at http://hammitts.homelinux.org/lego/ with the details and some pics. I tried to make the robot's source code as clear as is possible. It has more of an eye towards "hey it works" than "it's as efficient as is possible". Please let me know if you have questions. I'm a programmer by trade, so the documentation is quite verbose.

The robot itself uses only the parts that come with the main NXT kit, since I haven't bought any others yet. It works pretty well, panning the light sensor back and forth to find out which direction to go. Two sensors would have been a LOT easier to handle in hardware and in the software. Oh well.. I guess I need another kit :wink:

Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

I just come back from your website, picture are very good quality.
But I don't really understand how does your robot work.
Because robot call "line follower" have or must follow a line on the floor..So as I can see on your pictures the light sensor " is looking " forward :?
Maybe with the third motor :?: Maybe I'm wrong..:wink:
However the construction of your robot looks very good and I'm pretty sure that it works well.

Do you make a video of your robot ?
You can see my line follower here

Cordially

PLAY LIST OF line follower robots

Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:16 am
Rookie

Firstly, your English is fine, really. Don't worry about it :) Veuillez excuser mon response ivre! It has been a fun night...

The robot tracks the light by determining what angle the most intense light source is at, and then adjusting the drive motors to go towards that angle. The sensor sweeps back and forth, trying to find which direction to go. Then it directs the drive wheels to go faster the direction opposite of the intense light and slower towards, so it turns that way.

Please pardon if this is unclear, I'll post a "sobre" response tomorrow. I tried to get some video of the bot in action but I don't think anything turned out well. I need an assistant, but my wife is sleeping :wink: I'll try to get some good video tomorrow sometime.

Thanks for the response!

Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:39 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

... Veuillez excuser mon response ivre! It has been a fun night...

As I can see the happy new year's day is coming ! :lol: And thanks for your support for my english 8)

I think I have a better understanding of your robot..maybe when I read it this morning I was drunk too !:shock:
So, I'm waiting your videos...

And if you want to improve your french do not hesitate to come on the forum vie artificielle dedicated to LEGO NXT. (click on my signature)

Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:32 am
Rookie

Post Video update
I posted a compliation video at the above website, here's the deep link: http://hammitts.homelinux.org/lego/track_light.avi

The quality is fairly poor and not properly zoomed in on the last part, but I think you can get the idea of what it's doing.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

May I put this video on Dailymotion ? I made a group for all NXT robot ? or join us !

Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:47 am
Rookie

Sure, go ahead and post it. They use their own bandwidth on dailymotion, don't they? How do you join the group?

I ordered another light sensor, so the next bot should work a lot better. Once that's hooked up, I may try to see if I can get it to find a blinking light, just for fun.

At some point I need to go back to simulations and put in the characteristics of the actual motors and stuff, then see if the simulations still work on the hardware :D

Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

Sure, go ahead and post it. They use their own bandwidth on dailymotion, don't they? How do you join the group?

here I put it
No you can create your own group or playlist, just make a profil for free like a forum count

Quote:

At some point I need to go back to simulations and put in the characteristics of the actual motors and stuff, then see if the simulations still work on the hardware :D

How do you make simulation ? Are you using your own soft or ? could you please tell me more about ?

Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:21 am
Rookie

I have some OpenGL simulation software (no lego-shaped parts, of course) that simulates a robot roaming around on a virtual surface "eating" lights that it can sense with its detectors.

The detectors are a lot like the lego ones where you can only tell intensity and not direction, so I think that I'll be able to get a good simulation of the real robot. I just need to put in more realistic maxima for the wheel motors and change it to only having one light.

I updated my /lego webpage with screen caps from the simulation. The simulation code is pretty old and needs a major documentation update before I'd feel like posting it since it assumes that someone reading it would know all about genetic algorithms and OpenGL. Please forgive the delay before it gets posted. That and I want to put in some better looking robot parts ;)

Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

Really better with the new picture, because the old's one looks like pacman !
do you write this simulator it in C langage ?

Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]