View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Communication loss between Cortex and Joystick 
Rookie

Post Communication loss between Cortex and Joystick
I am experiencing a loss of communication between the Joystick and Cortex at random times. What can I do to prevent this?

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Post Re: Communication loss between Cortex and Joystick
Can you be a little more specific about what you men by communication loss? Does the connection actually drop out and reset, or does the robot just not respond to specific joystick input for a short time? I only ask to make sure that it's hardware based, and not something in the code that makes it seem like you're experiencing communication loss. If it's hardware based, make sure that your key isn't enclosed by metal on your robot. Try placing it up and out of the way so it has clear range. For the VEX competition, it is legal to use a small USB extension to mount your key somewhere other than directly in the Cortex slot. It is also possible that you have a bad key (they're not known for their reliability). Try swapping them out with different keys and see if the problem persists.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:43 pm
Rookie

I think its hardware. The USB keys could be disconnecting through movement. I will try the extension. For competitions, can any type of extension be used or does it have to be VEX?

Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:00 pm

You can use any USB extension cable as long as it's sole purpose is the remote mounting of the key. Here's an except from the Sack Attack manual:
Code:
<R7>
j. A USB extension cable may be used for the sole purpose of remote mounting of a VEXnet key. The key must be mounted in the following manner.
  i. The VEXnet key must be mounted such that no metal is touching the key above the VEXnet logo.
  ii. No metal may be within 2” of the top of the VEXnet key.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]