View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Communication Problem 
Rookie

Post Communication Problem
I have downloaded the latest version (3.51), for Cortex, also 32 bit drivers. I updated the firmware in the cortex and joystick. The PC comm ports are not being recognized when I try to download a program throught the Joystick USB to serial. When i go to "View" set up comm ports I only have automatic. Each time i try to compile and download I get a failed to communicate on any USB port I use. Not sure what to do next.
Gary

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:33 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Communication Problem
There are a couple of reasons why this might be happening. The first thing I would suggest is unplugging and powering down the Cortex, closing ROBOTC, and then reopening ROBOTC and reconnecting the Cortex.

Check the VEX Cortex Communication Mode is set to "VEXNet or USB" (under the Robot menu in ROBOTC).

Next, make sure you have the correct drivers (32 vs. 64 bit) for you computer. Also, check Windows Device Manager (accessed by navigating to Start, Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, and Device Manager) to make sure the 'Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port' is listed under the 'Ports (COM & LPT)' and that it does not have a yellow warning symbol on it.

How do you have the Cortex/VEXNet controller/computer wired together?

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?
~ Carly Rae Jepsen parody

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:39 pm
Rookie

I am trying to download a Joystick control program with the USB to serial cable connected from a PC USB port to the Joystick.

I tried everything you asked me to do in Control Panel. The 'Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port' is not showing up. I downloaded the the 32 bit driver and the USB to serial driver for windows 7. I tried downloading this driver several times, I would then get error messages. The last time I tried it seemed to download but after retarting the PC the 'Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port' is not showing up or not being recognized.

I can download a program PC USB to Cortex USB.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:49 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

If the driver is giving you problems in the Device Manager, there may be other Windows issues that are preventing it from installing properly. Try right clicking on the driver installer and selecting 'Run as Administrator', as this will give the program administrator privileges (if applicable). Also, try plugging the cable into a different USB port. We usually recommend using one of the rear USB ports on a desktop to ensure that the cable is able to draw enough current through the computer's port.

What error codes are you getting exactly? They might be able to help us diagnose this problem further.

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?
~ Carly Rae Jepsen parody

Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:51 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

What generation of the USB-to-Serial programming cable are you using? The older, fatter version used the "Prolific USB to Serial" driver, while the newer, slimmer generation uses the same driver as the VEX Cortex and Joysticks. It should come up as a "VEX Robotics Comm Port".

Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:16 pm
Rookie

I found the problem. The USB to Serial driver was not downloading properly. Each time I downloaded it looked as if it was there, but was ot quite complete. I had to download about 15 times before it finally worked.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:43 pm
Rookie

heck the VEX Cortex Communication Mode is set to USB

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]