View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
2.30 vs 2.02 For PIC 
Rookie

Post 2.30 vs 2.02 For PIC
I have a license for 2.02, but 2.30 has me curious (since it says it's for PIC also.) Is there any difference in these two versions for PIC only users?

Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:05 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: 2.30 vs 2.02 For PIC
Good question! Some of the changes that are relevant to PIC-only users are:
- a handful of user interface enhancements
- improvements to the sample programs and help documentation
- the addition of the "Remote Control Troubleshooter", which lets you see the values from the joysticks and buttons

Most of the changes, though, are for supporting the Cortex. If you wanted to see first-hand what the differences are, the version of ROBOTC for Cortex and PIC that we have online is a 90-day demo http://www.robotc.net/download/cortex/

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:13 am
Rookie

So there are features for the PIC that you can't get with the PIC only RobotC software? That doesn't seem right...

I did attempt to register RobotC for Cortex and PIC with my license (originally came with 1.08.) and it said that the license is for a different product. So if I want to have the full feature set for PIC I would need to purchase RobotC again? Or are the updates going to be applied to RC for PIC?

It would have made sense to me that the Cortex and PIC would be on the same original Vex license, since they are both Vex MCUs.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:38 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

All of the improvements and updates that pertain to the PIC will be included in the next update for ROBOTC for IFI. ROBOTC is developed in a way that, whether you're using the PIC, Cortex, NXT, ect, things like user interface improvements apply to all of them when they are updated.

ROBOTC for Cortex and PIC is a separate product from ROBOTC for IFI, and does require a different license ID. For existing ROBOTC for IFI users, we offer an upgrade for the cost difference here: http://www.robotc.net/purchase/cortex/

Please understand that adding support for the Cortex took a few man-years worth of development. You mentioned that your original license was for version 1.08 - all updates and upgrades to version 2.0 have been free of charge.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:22 am
Rookie

Ok, thanks for making that clear. I do appreciate the free updates, although it does seem like RC for IFI is always the last to get updated.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:00 am

The development of RC works in cycles. I am sure the people who use RC for NXT say the same thing :)

- Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:05 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]