View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
USB directly to Cortex 
Rookie

Post USB directly to Cortex
I am trying to create an autonomous robot and so I don't have the joystick, but because of this I am receiving an error every time I try and download a program from my computer directly to the Cortex. Any ideas or is anyone in the same situation?

This is the error:

Robot controller failed to respond.

Possibly not powered on or corrupted firmware.
Or low battery condition.
Or cable connections between controller and PC are wrong.
Or incorrect port is selected on PC.

I've checked the port and it's correct and I used the cable to download the 2.4v of the firmware so I know the firmware and cable are correct. I don't know what to do, please help. Also, thanks to the person who posted the LCD button test program.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:49 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: USB directly to Cortex
Hi,

The direct USB connection functionality is unfortunately still in beta. We are working on getting the kinks out and it's looking good. Until then, we found that switching your menu level to Super User mode (Window > Menu Level > Super User), then going to View > Preferences > Internal (tab) and under "Message Tracing" select "Messages" seems to help keep the communication channels open.

Also I should mention that the Cortex checks to see if the USB is plugged in upon startup and only then. So if you turn on the Cortex and attach the USB cable after it powers on, it won't know that it's connected. Try turning the Cortex completely off, then attaching the USB cable to your computer first, and then to your Cortex. It should power the board (but not the motors) without even switching the power to ON. This way the Cortex recognizes the USB link.

Hope that helped.

Undergraduate Intern - NREC, Robotics Academy
ROBOTC - Testing/Documentation/Developer

Computer Science, Japanese, East Asian Studies
University of Pittsburgh, Konan University 甲南大学

Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:04 pm
Rookie

Post Re: USB directly to Cortex
Worked great, thanks.

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]