View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Vex PIC and Kinect v2 Motion Tracking - First Robot! 
Rookie

Post Vex PIC and Kinect v2 Motion Tracking - First Robot!
I am trying to program a Vex robot through a PIC microcontroller that tracks people when they come into view of the Kinect v2. Ideally, I'd like to have it follow the person's head by using the body tracking abilities of the Kinect v2. It seems as though I can follow the position of the person's head by using Kinect software within Microsoft Visual Studio, but I have no idea how to make MVS and RobotC talk to each other. This project has a very small time frame, so any help ASAP would be greatly appreciated.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:20 pm

Post Re: Vex PIC and Kinect v2 Motion Tracking - First Robot!
I am not quite sure what the final goal is. Is your goal to have the robot and the kinect talk directly to each other removing the computer from the situation? If so you are pretty much going to be out of luck. The issue isn't the data transfer really but the computation required to actually do skeletal mapping.
Quote:
The Kinect sensor itself only measures color and depth. However, once that information is on your computer, lots more can be done like "skeleton" tracking (i.e. detecting a model of a person and tracking his/her movements).
http://shiffman.net/p5/kinect/

If you are just trying to have communication between your computer and your robot while the computer runs the Kinect software then the solution becomes a little more reasonable. UART communication is just serial so you should be able to figure out a way for a MVS program to communicate to UART ports on a cortex. If you wanted to make it really cool you could use this library and the kinect + computer wouldn't even have to be hard wired to the robot. This way a cheap bluetooth dongle/laptop with bluetooth would be all you need instead of custom cable.

http://www.vexforum.com/index.php/14783 ... he-hc-05/0

Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]