View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
No output to Debugstream 
Rookie

Post No output to Debugstream
I can't get any output to the Debugstream window. Running the example does not produce any output to the window. I am running tethered (didn't bring a Joystick home for the holiday). Is that an issue?
RobotC 4.32 Windows 8.1 Pro

Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:20 pm
Rookie

Post Re: No output to Debugstream
Debugstreamline is not working for me also.

Computer -> USB Cable -> Cortex (no joystick)

Firmware 10.32
RobotC 4.32 Windows 8.1.

Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:14 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the reports, we'll investigate the issue and get back to you!

= Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:30 am
Profile WWW

rwood359 wrote:
I can't get any output to the Debugstream window. Running the example does not produce any output to the window. I am running tethered (didn't bring a Joystick home for the holiday). Is that an issue?
RobotC 4.32 Windows 8.1 Pro

So I have been looking into this. You set your menu level to Expert or higher correct? Basic is unable to see the debugstream. For most users we recommend live watching user variables or sensor values rather than manually printing information.

Try running the sample program "debug Stream Demo" under the advanced menu. The program has a variable char izard.

Also just to ensure nothing basic is missing you followed the process below correct?
plug in USB to cortex and computer
download
press start
Under Robot, Debugger Windows select "Debug Stream"

Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:57 am
Rookie

Tabor473 wrote:
So I have been looking into this. You set your menu level to Expert or higher correct? Basic is unable to see the debugstream. For most users we recommend live watching user variables or sensor values rather than manually printing information.

Try running the sample program "debug Stream Demo" under the advanced menu. The program has a variable char izard.

Also just to ensure nothing basic is missing you followed the process below correct?
download
press start

I am running at super user level.
I have opened the Debugstream window both before and after pressing START. No help.
I have tried putting in the #pragma to open the debugstream window. No help.
I have used getAvailSpaceInDebugStream(). It is decreasing.
I connected through the Joystick. No help.

We are trying to build the motor curves for a number of motors. Using the Debugstream will allow us to capture the data for all power settings and load it into Excel for analysis.
I'll try this on other computers today. Maybe it's a conflict with something else I have loaded.
Thanks for looking at this.

Edit: I tried the demo program on Win 7 and XP computers with the same results.
2nd Edit: I found a computer that still had RobotC 4.26 installed. Ran them demo with the same Cortex that was failing. A different Debugstream, but at least there was output.

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:06 pm

rwood359 wrote:
Tabor473 wrote:

download
press start

I am running at super user level.
I have opened the Debugstream window both before and after pressing START. No help.
I have tried putting in the #pragma to open the debugstream window. No help.
I have used getAvailSpaceInDebugStream(). It is decreasing.
I connected through the Joystick. No help.

We are trying to build the motor curves for a number of motors. Using the Debugstream will allow us to capture the data for all power settings and load it into Excel for analysis.
I'll try this on other computers today. Maybe it's a conflict with something else I have loaded.

Edit: I tried the demo program on Win 7 and XP computers with the same results.
2nd Edit: I found a computer that still had RobotC 4.26 installed. Ran them demo with the same Cortex that was failing. A different Debugstream, but at least there was output.

Are the other debug windows refreshing continuously?
In the Program Debug menu where you press start is the refresh rate set to continuous?
Just to be clear you tried the demo and it did work on the original computer or not? If the demo works with the same cortex than I would assume it is a code issue and would be happy to try to debug the code if you post it here or email me at gtabor@nrec.ri.cmu.edu.

Edit: So recently there was some changes to the debug features. Make sure you are running 4.32 and the newest robotC firmware.

Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:27 am
Rookie

Tabor473 wrote:
Are the other debug windows refreshing continuously?

Global and sensor debug windows are updating. I can see the characters that should be output and the available Debugstream value decreases if the Datastream window is open. If the Datastream is closed, the available value decreases with each time that start is pressed.

Tabor473 wrote:
In the Program Debug menu where you press start is the refresh rate set to continuous?

Refresh Is set to continuous. All Global and Sensor data is updating.

Tabor473 wrote:
Just to be clear you tried the demo and it did work on the original computer or not? If the demo works with the same cortex than I would assume it is a code issue and would be happy to try to debug the code if you post it here or email me at gtabor@nrec.ri.cmu.edu.

I have tried both the demo program and my own code. Other than on the 4.26 computer, I have not seen any output.
The failing cortex will not run on any 4.32 machine. It did work on a 4.26 machine.

Tabor473 wrote:
Edit: So recently there was some changes to the debug features. Make sure you are running 4.32 and the newest robotC firmware.

I updated the cortex and joystick from within 4.32. What are the current versions? I'll check when I get to school (11:00 Hawaii time)

edit: sorry, I hit submit rather than preview.
edit1: I should note that when running 4.26 the output window wasn't correctly formatted, but at least there was output - probably the firmware version clash.
edit2: Since I have your attention, to get around this, can I connect the TX and GND pins on the Cortex to the RX and GND pins on the DB9 of an old serial to USB so that I can use a terminal program to capture the values? Are the voltages compatible?
edit3: Firmware Versions 4.25 and 10.32. Software inspection says that they are current.

Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:01 pm
Rookie

I tried the demo program on VEXIQ (most current version) with the same failure noted.
I turned on system messages and tried to infer the stream operation. I read the available space into a global. Immediately after the debug write, the value would be less than the the buffer size (39xx vs 4000). After a second or two the space available global would return to the max. In the message log, I could see the global go to the lower value. On all datastream requests, the space available was always 4000 and the buffer buffer had values in the first 8 or 9 bytes. The rest of the returned buffer was 0x2e.
May be a clue maybe not.

Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:54 pm

Okay so one last thing you can try. In Regedit delete all the registry information related to RobotC.

If that doesn't solve the issue we need to get a little more information on your hardware. I will need you to make Direct X diagnostic report.

To create a Direct X diagnostic report:

- Open the Windows Start menu
- Search for and open the Direct X Diagnostics tool, dxdiag.exe
- Allow the Diagnostics tool to collect the data and click the 'Save all Information' button to create the report text file.
- Save this file in an easy-to-access location (such as the desktop)
- Attach to a response to this thread

Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:18 pm
Rookie

Tabor473 wrote:
Okay so one last thing you can try. In Regedit delete all the registry information related to RobotC.

I started to do this. After deleting many entries, I thought that some looked like it would be a bad idea to delete. Help file and examples references?
Anyway, by "all' do you mean use find next to find all references to "robotc" and delete them or some sub-set of that? If so, I'll continue until there are no RobotC references left.
I ran the RobotC built-in registry cleaner.

No improvement.

Tabor473 wrote:
If that doesn't solve the issue we need to get a little more information on your hardware. I will need you to make Direct X diagnostic report.

To create a Direct X diagnostic report:

- Open the Windows Start menu
- Search for and open the Direct X Diagnostics tool, dxdiag.exe
- Allow the Diagnostics tool to collect the data and click the 'Save all Information' button to create the report text file.
- Save this file in an easy-to-access location (such as the desktop)
- Attach to a response to this thread

I am attaching the dxdiag output.

Attachments:
rwood359-DxDiag.txt [95.93 KiB]
Downloaded 1490 times
Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:34 pm
Rookie

Has there been any progress in getting the debug stream operational? I put in a ticket to Robot C a few days ago and haven't received any reply.

Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:12 pm
Rookie

I take that back - I just got a reply :

John Watson (Robomatter)
Jul 22, 11:02 AM
Hello Andrew,
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have made our development team aware of this issue and it has been put on the "to-fix" list; we hope to have a fix available for the Debug Stream's behavior as soon as possible. Please keep an eye out on our blog (www.robotc.net/blog) and Facebook page for more information as it becomes available.
Thank you,
John

Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:34 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

An update: we have found a bug in the Debugstream code, a fix has been created and we're testing it. If everything checks out, it will be in the next public build.

= Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:25 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

Release 4.50 has resolved this problem for me.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]