View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Downloading wirelessly from pc to cortex? 
Rookie

Post Downloading wirelessly from pc to cortex?
Hi,

I am new to Vex and I am not sure if my computer which has a wireless card in it should be able to download code wirelessly to the Vex cortex. At this point the Vexnet from the vex joystick to the cortex works fine but I have to use the usb A-A cable to download programs from the computer. I am running RobotC version 4.27, I have done the updates to the cortex and joystick. My communications mode is set to Vexnet or Usb. I have the black VexNet keys. If the computer should be able to connect to VexNet, can anyone help me trouble-shoot this?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:01 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Downloading wirelessly from pc to cortex?
You won't be able to download code to the Cortex directly through a Wifi network, as the VEXNet system doesn't tap into an existing Wifi network but instead creates its own ad-hoc network between a Cortex and Joystick Controller.

However, you can tether a VEXNet Joystick Controller to a computer via a Programming Hardware Kit, then use the VEXNet keys to transfer programs and debug data wirelessly between the Cortex and Joystick Controller (which in turn will pass the data through the Programming Hardware Kit to the computer).

To do so, first follow all of the steps outlined in our 'Getting Started with the VEX Cortex - Wireless' guide in the ROBOTC support documents, as this will walk you through the process of setting up the VEXNet connection and configuring ROBOTC for the wireless connection (special note should be made for step 7): http://help.robotc.net/WebHelpVEX/index ... ots|_____3

Once this is done and the connection is established, you will be able to connect the VEXNet Joystick Controller directly to the computer by connecting the USB-A end of the Programming Hardware Kit into the computer, and the other end (should look like a phone cable) into the 'Program' on the back of the Joystick Controller. Make sure the VEXNet keys are inserted into both the Cortex and Joystick Controller, turn both on, wait for the VEXNet connection to be established, and you should be good to go.

If the process fails at any point, let us know which step it fails on with as much detailed information as possible (including screenshots and descriptions of error messages and light patterns on the Cortex/Joystick) and we'll be more than happy to help.

Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:54 pm
Rookie

Post Re: Downloading wirelessly from pc to cortex?
Thanks for the quick response, I have the "Programming add-on kit" but it has no cable. It looks like I will have to buy the "Programming hardware kit" to get the cable.

Have a great day,
Bill W

Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]