View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
PID Control 
Rookie

Post PID Control
Hi guys im attempting to learn PID control for my robotics classroom. I was looking over some example code and was wondering if anyone can explain some of these statements to me or maybe to the whole code. I have been unable to find any teaching source for PID and at this point I have excelled my teacher so he is unable to teach me this.

The things i dont know are what these things stand for nLastPos, nPos, nNumbOfHits, nSensor, nWeight, ++nCycles.

I have no idea what the n in front of the statements mean aswell.

Here is the code that I am looking at
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7iyjv ... sp=sharing

Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:42 pm
Rookie

Post Re: PID Control
Hi,

It is common in some styles of programming to prefix variable names with their type.

Thus, the 'n' prefix means this variable is a 'number'.

As for the other variables, I can guess at a couple of them, but the others aren't obvious when taken out of context. I can't follow the link you posted as it's blocked for me.

A PID control is designed to use sensors to adjust a robot in order to match a desired, or 'target', position or speed. To accomplish this task, the sensor is repeatedly sampled, and the reading is used to compute a correction, which is applied by turning a motor. Given that, I'd apply the following guesses to some of the variable names:
nSensor - is either the sensor number or the last raw value read from the sensor.
nPos - is probably the current position, derived from the last raw sensor value. This is where the sensor says the robot is right now.
nLastPos - is probably the last position. This is where the sensor says the robot was the last time it checked. Probably 1-20 milliseconds ago. This is used for the 'D' part of the PID calculation.

The others are unclear without context.

Terry

Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]