View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Question about input ports? 
Rookie

Post Question about input ports?
Hello,
I am extremely new to programing for the NXT and I was wondering if anybody knows of a simple way to connect more than 4 sensors to the input ports. I believe that I can calibrate the NXT using the digital voltmeter with the sensors in a circuit, but is there another way?

Thanks in advance.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:55 pm
Creator
Creator

Post Re: Question about input ports?
what type of sensors do you want to gang on a single port? THis makes a difference.

Touch sensors are easy. Ultrasonic sensors are virtually impossible. Etc.

Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:21 am
Guru

Post Re: Question about input ports?
hello,
if it's just about I²C sensors (ultrasonic, colour, compass, gyro,...) you may plug possibly up to 3 different I²C sensors to 1 sensor port without any problems, IF they have different I²C adresses.
This is mostly not possible if you use original Lego Sensors, because their adresses are fixed to 0x02 (as far as I know).
But (some? all?) sensors of Hitechnic or Mindsensors have adjustable adresses, so you could use them parallel to each other.

I²C standards are designed for chaining up to 126 devices at 1 port, but this is not completely supported by the NXT architecture.
As I know on good authority, the NXT sensor port is limited to 20 mA electrical power, so
without an external power supply this is why there is a limitation of attached sensors, but if you had an extra external I²C switch with an extra power supply, you may plug all the maximum 126 I²C sensors to 1 port as well.

HTH!

#define F(a,b) for(a=0;a<b;++a)
float x,y,r,i,s,j,t,n;task main(){F(y,64){F(x,99){r=i=t=0;s=x/33-2;j=y/32-1;F(n,50&S){t=r*r-i*i;i=2*r*i+j;r=t+s;}if(S){PutPixel(x,y);}}}while(1)}

Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]