View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Would loose standards/guidelines for port usage be useful? 

Would you like to see some default standards in port usage?
Yes, I'd like to make merging code easier. 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
No, it's an impractical idea. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Would loose standards/guidelines for port usage be useful? 
Novice

Post Would loose standards/guidelines for port usage be useful?
I'm not sure whether it would be practical or not, but I was wondering whether other people would like to see simple psuedo standards or guidelines put in place for which ports "should" be used with which motors and sensors. I think it would be handy in terms of swapping code between users if we all followed some rough guidelines. Although it can't and should never be enforced it might make sharing code easier. While many robots simply wouldn't fit such a rigid criteria like this, the majority might. An example might be:

Port A - Used for motor on leftside (ie turns Robot Right)
Port B - Used for motor on Rightside (ie turns Robot Left)
Port C - Used for auxilary purposes ie lifter/launcher/etc

Port 1 - Left Light Sensor
Port 2 - Right Lift Sensor
Port 3 - Touch Sensor
Port 4 - Sonar Sensor

In my experience the RCX had standards where port A & C where normally used for steering motors.

Is this a reasonable suggestion that needs refinement or an impractical idea, almost unworthy of a post? Would it be better just to set loose guidelines for the steering ports as with the RCX?

Thanks
James

Thu May 10, 2007 6:31 am
Rookie

Like you said, the RCX had a standard port usage, so does the NXT and the NXT-G software. In fact I tend to stick to the default ports of NXT-G unless there is a physical construction reason not to.

NXT-G defaults to motors B and C for move (syncronized motor) blocks and motor A for extra grippers etc...

For the sensors it defaults to:

1-Touch
2-Sound
3-Light
4-Ultra Sonic

I'm not sure why they chose motor ports B and C, it would make more sense to use A and C, but when I was using NXT-G I didn't want to have to keep changing the defaults on new move blocks, so I just got use to using the defaults for motors and sensors.

Even with RobotC you'll notice that if you run any of the "Try Me" programs for each of the sensors that it too uses the same ports.

So my proposal would be to use the same defaults as NXT-G, but of course everyone can use whatever they want.

Thu May 10, 2007 8:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]