View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
1.40: RobotC can't find brick 
Guru

Post 1.40: RobotC can't find brick
what's this:
although connected via USB and recognized by Windows (da-dong: NOT any a hint "unknown devices"), RobotC claims, that no brick can be found:

pressing F5:
pop up window wrote:
remember you need to push th orange button...

or via NXT-Link Setup:
pop up window wrote:
No 'NXT' bricks could be found

I tried another USB plug at my PC: no change!
I tried a 2nd brick - no connection neither!

what the hell is going on there?
:evil: :downloading: :evil:

#define F(a,b) for(a=0;a<b;++a)
float x,y,r,i,s,j,t,n;task main(){F(y,64){F(x,99){r=i=t=0;s=x/33-2;j=y/32-1;F(n,50&S){t=r*r-i*i;i=2*r*i+j;r=t+s;}if(S){PutPixel(x,y);}}}while(1)}

Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:55 pm
Guru

Post Re: 1.40: RobotC can't find brick
hhmh.
driver 1.02 already installed...
anyway, driver deinstalled ...
new installed...

everything's fine with the brick . Image

float x,y,r,i,s,j,t,n;task main(){F(y,64){F(x,99){r=i=t=0;s=x/33-2;j=y/32-1;F(n,50&S){t=r*r-i*i;i=2*r*i+j;r=t+s;}if(S){PutPixel(x,y);}}}while(1)}

Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:12 pm

Have you gone to the menu Robot/Nxt Brick/Link Setup and set up a usb connection again?

Scott B-)

My Robot Projects:
http://www.freewebs.com/robotprojects/

Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

no, why should I?
I plugged the nxt to the usb port, started RobotC, compiled and tried to download - as usual.
The brick was recognizes by windows.
This connection had to work automatically, as before, and I didn't change anything.
Why should I set up a USB connection???

Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:43 pm

Usually that fixes the problem, did you try it?

My Robot Projects:

Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

no, not yet.
But I'll try it the next time (it actually happend once before!).
Thx!

Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:46 pm
Guru

Dick Swan/Bug Tracker wrote:
There are only a couple of cases where I've experienced this problem:

1. You have another application -- e.g. the NXT-G IDE or another program that uses the "Fantom.dll" -- open and active on the PC and it is also communicating with the NXT. The Fantom.dll is not designed for this kind of concurrent access.

2. The ROBOTC IDE has crashed, or been aborted. Between ROBOTC and Fantom.dll, the status does not get cleared and Fantom will not allow any subsequent access to this NXT. This happens if you have ROBOTC application open under control of an PC debugger which is not the normal mode of operation. I don't see if very often when PC debugger is not running on the PC. By Debugger, I mean application designed to debug Windows programs and not the ROBOTC NXT debugger.

When this problem occurs again, it would help if you ran the command "Robot -> NXT Brick -> Link Setup" and reported what was in the "Bricks found by USB" state. If the brick name here is "BAD" then it indicates that situation (1) is the likely culprit. Or that (2) has occurred.

Another potential cause of this is that the Fantom.dll does not provide any capability to flush the USB buffers. If there is any unread "garbage" in the buffers -- e.g. some message bytes that have not been read -- they incorrectly get treated as reply bytes to subsequent messages. There have been bugs, althought I don't think any at present, where ROBOTC firmware has caused this.

One trick that can usually clear situation is to unjack and rejack the USB cable. This usually works. If not, and you have a spare USB port, also try unjacking and connecting to a different USB port.

It would help if you reported the configuration that caused the error. Did ROBOTC crash before the error occurred? Was it running and terminated normally? Are you using any other application that talks to the NXT?

hi,
no I always use only RobotC, nothing else.
But as reported, RobotC shuts off by itself, corrupts the program at runtime ("flickering nxt screen") and produces "-nan" where must not be some.
Maybe this is why.

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:52 pm

I realized what is wrong, you have XP service pack 3 any you need the new USB driver that is for service pack three.

http://www.robotc.net/content/lego_down/lego_down.html

Let me know if it worked B-)
Scott

My Robot Projects:

Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

yes, it's fine, thx a lot!

Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:52 am
Rookie

Hi, I also have the problem where it says that it cant find the NXT brick. I have done what was said to "Ford Perfect" and it still says that hte NXT is not found via usb. If you can help i would be very thankful

§Richard§

Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:20 pm
Creator
Creator

soulcolector wrote:
Hi, I also have the problem where it says that it cant find the NXT brick. I have done what was said to "Ford Perfect" and it still says that hte NXT is not found via usb. If you can help i would be very thankful

Does your brick show up in the Windows "Device Manager" control panel window under "LEGO DEVICES -> LEGO NXT MINDSTORMS". If not, then the device driver installation is likely corrupted or incorrect. If it does, please repost.

Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:56 pm
Rookie

I know this is a little late in the the thread, but I'm seeing the problem with the USB connection labeled as 'BAD'.

RobotC 1.46 - 365 (FTC Version)

Prior to it happening, I had RobotC open and had just did a Compile/Download and the Debugger and Joystick control was open. I powered down the NXT with them both open. RobotC did NOT shut down gracefully and I had to 'force' the debugger to close. RobotC closed immediately after that. Then opening it up subsequently, I started getting the 'BAD' robot.

I removed and reconnect the USB cable (same port) and the problem persists.
I move the USB cable to a different port and the problem persists.

BT seems to still work however.

The fix seems to be reboot, unless there is a way to force the fantom.dll to reset without rebooting.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]