View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Bug when using random and PlayTone 
Rookie

Post Re: Bug when using random and PlayTone
By the way, I pretty much understood all of your explanation of the hardware/firmware except for one thing:

"For WAV files, the NXT hardware is interrupted for every sample. The sample is 8-bits. The sample value is translated into a 256-bit pattern with the number of ones in the pattern equal to the sample value."

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that an 8 bit sample is translated into a 256 bit pattern. Can you elaborate on this a bit more? I understand that you have an 8 bit number with values in the range 0-255. Why is that translated into a 256 bit pattern?

Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:26 pm
Rookie

Post Re: Bug when using random and PlayTone
Wait, I think I get it. The sample size is 8 bits, which makes for sounds that are approximately telephone quality. Larger sample size would result in larger data for wav files so we keep it to 8 bits, but DMA buffer is 256 bits, so thats why we do the conversion. Am I on the right track? If I were working with a smaller data set than a wav file, ("real time" samples like square waves, for example), It's conceivable that I could use 16 bit samples if I wanted... I really think there are a lot of possibilities here. How hard do you think it would be to expose the functionality for what you described in #4 of your post:

4. Instead of playing a WAV file, provide an interface where user program provides a sample rate and an array of values to output. With/without a continuous looping option. That way, user application could calculate the samples at its leisure without regard to real-time and then have them played back in real-time.

Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2