View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
RobotC 1.40 RC3 
Expert

Post RobotC 1.40 RC3
Wonder if anyone may shed some light over this issue.

I have multiple XP machines installed with 1.10. Then, I installed 1.4RC3 on all of them. Over half of them installed and run successfully. Then, there are a couple for some reason failed to run the RobotC.exe. Error ... like... configation is incorrect. ...and suggested me to reinstall. Ok.. I did reinstall, but error remained. Then, I looked into the application event log, no error there. I then looked into he system event log, it said the "...generate activation context failed...... SideBySide ... " looked like it was an error concerninig some installation distribution. My goodness, I searched the net, and found some suggested to update the service pack. However, all my other machines run the identical OS, and service pack. no problem there! Any suggestion???

Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:01 pm
Profile WWW

First thing I would try is opening RobotC 1.10 and using the delete registry option found in the view menu (Expert mode may have to be enabled to find this option). It will delete all RobotC registry values and they will be restored if you restarted RobotC. After clearing RobotC's registry and closing RobotC, I would uninstall RobotC 1.10

After uninstalling, I suggest going to the RobotC directory and make sure that all the RobotC files are indeed removed. If you installed RobotC to the default directory, it will be here.
C:\Program Files\Robotics Academy
If there are any files or folders in here, delete them (excluding the teaching lego mindstorms folder, its ok to leave)

Then try reinstalling the new version.

Hope this helps, Let me know if it does. If it dosn't, maybe others will have a better idea?

Scott B-)

My Robot Projects:
http://www.freewebs.com/robotprojects/

Last edited by starwarslegokid on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
Expert

Since I suspected it was some issue about software distribution configuration, some sort of Microsoft dll for software distribution might be missing. I know the Visual C++ installation will require that. So, guess what. I went ahead to install Visual C++ Express (free but big). Wala! RobotC 1.40 RC 3 runs fine right afterward.

For educational purpose, I wonder!!!! By any chance this robotC 1.4 RC was built in debug mode (just a guess since it is still a RC, not final release). This might require some special MS dlls for running a software built in debug mode.

Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]