View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
other c formats 
Rookie

Post other c formats
I was interested in the bot ball competition which uses interactive c. is robot c anything like interactive c?

if i write code as a text file can it be opened by any software?

has any one been involved with bot ball before? any tips?

Bill

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:34 pm
Rookie

Post robot c vs. interactive c and botball
Interactive C is similar to robot c. I have used Interactive C and NQC in Robocup Jr. competitions. I think robot c is more like NQC than Interactive C. Both are fairly similar; however, when using motors, checking sensor values, etc. Robot C is much closer to NQC than Interactive C. It depends on what platform you are running your bots with. Personally, I have used Interactive C with the RCX and the MIT Handyboard. This year I will be using the NXT so I decided to give Robot C a try. I like it, but like I said, there are differences in the commands you use, but both follow the basic C structure.

I assume by botball, at the highschool level, you are referring to Robocup Jr. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

Another Pennsylvania Botball Competitior

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:55 pm
Rookie

Post my brain hurts
I was working on my programs this week and becoming frustrated. I don't know that much about C to begin with so it poses a problem when I try to program the NXT.
Is there a dummies book on any of this?
I know of the sample programs on the site, but are there explanations of the code anywhere?
I did find the notes in the sample programs helpful, but I was looking for more meat.

would a c++ book help? any thoughts?

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:36 pm
Rookie

Post quick start guide
I found that the quick start guide helps. it's only 13 pages...is there more?

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:51 pm
Creator
Creator

There is also some interactive training material on the RobotC web site oriented towards novices / beginners. You should explore and see what is there.

There's also lots of documentaiton in the works. Unfortunately, it doesn't help for now.

Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:58 pm
Creator
Creator

When dealing with multiple platforms -- e.g. NXT, RCX and VEX -- one nice thing about RobotC is that it applies to all platforms with a consistent interface.

Of course, there are minor tweaks between versions due to the hardware differences among the various platforms. But, in general, the same program will run on all platforms unchanged as long as you're not using features unique to a specific platform. And the RobotC IDE is the same across all platforms.

Wed May 09, 2007 12:45 pm
Rookie

Having worked with both C and C++, I can honestly say that a C++ book would not be incredibly helpful to try to figure out C code. They are different enough that experience with one did not help with understanding the other. If you can find a book on programming concepts that does not use a specific language, or uses C in a more simple way than most books are likely to do, that would be much more helpful than trying to put C++ knowledge to use with RobotC. You might not need a lot of the fancy pointer mess that C involves, but C still would be a better starting point for learning about RobotC than C++.

It's just my opinion, and I'm sure other people would disagree. Experience taught me that having had introductory courses in Pascal, C++ and Java did next to nothing to help when a higher level course used C. However, since RobotC doesn't contain a lot of the things that really confused me in C (pointers to pointers that are pointers to things which may or may not also be pointers), it may make sense to use C++ or even Pascal to learn the concepts needed for RobotC.

Hope this helps :)
-Mandy

Mon May 21, 2007 2:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]