ROBOTC.net forums
http://www.robotc.net/forums/

RobotC feature requests
http://www.robotc.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5245
Page 1 of 1

Author:  skatefriday [ Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:28 pm ]
Post subject:  RobotC feature requests

I have a few RobotC IDE feature requests.

1) We have a bunch of programs for a single robot that has a rather
complex set of motors and sensors. It would be really useful to be
able to put the pragmas in a header file and then just reference the
header file as the first thing in all our robot programs. It's quite
cumbersome to have to change 20 files when we move or add a
sensor, or discover that there was an incorrect setting on something.

2) An ability to disable the auto-compile when opening a file. This should
be disabled by default.

3) Projects! Multiple .c files that all compile into one executable. I'd
like to be able to teach my kids how to do things and organize software
the way the rest of the industry does.

Author:  tfriez [ Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: RobotC feature requests

1. We have a system set up to do this - it's called our "Standard Models" system. You can specify a base "motors and sensor setup", store it in a separate file, and then create a link to it (with instructions) by creating a standard model. This isn't a well documented feature, but it should be pretty easy to mimic what is in the /Standard Models/ folder inside of your ROBOTC installation directory.

2. This is something we can easily add as a feature for in future versions. Thanks.

3. The core of ROBOTC's user base never writes programs over 100 lines long and always lives inside of a single file. The "project" system adds a layer of complexity and is a barrier for beginner users as it's another step they have to learn to just get a basic program on their robot. This is a core paradigm we've adopted - so while we appreciate the feedback, I don't see this feature being implemented any time soon.

Author:  skatefriday [ Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: RobotC feature requests

Thanks for the tip on item 1.

As for projects, I can pretty much guarantee you that any successful
FTC team is creating autonomous programs that are orders of magnitude larger
than 100 lines. We have about 600 lines, and counting, spread over
a number of files for this year's competition.

Author:  MHTS [ Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: RobotC feature requests

skatefriday wrote:
As for projects, I can pretty much guarantee you that any successful
FTC team is creating autonomous programs that are orders of magnitude larger
than 100 lines. We have about 600 lines, and counting, spread over
a number of files for this year's competition.

As of today, our code has 3939 lines of code (autonomous + teleop), not counting comments. If including comments, it would be 7698 lines. The project code spreads over 30 active files. There are another nine files in our library that are not used this year. But we don't consider ourselves successful though :(

Author:  skatefriday [ Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: RobotC feature requests

MHTS wrote:
skatefriday wrote:
As for projects, I can pretty much guarantee you that any successful
FTC team is creating autonomous programs that are orders of magnitude larger
than 100 lines. We have about 600 lines, and counting, spread over
a number of files for this year's competition.

As of today, our code has 3939 lines of code (autonomous + teleop), not counting comments. If including comments, it would be 7698 lines. The project code spreads over 30 active files. There are another nine files in our library that are not used this year. But we don't consider ourselves successful though :(


We have a small team and even smaller programming
group. But you make my point. Projects would be
really quite useful. I constantly find myself hitting F7
to compile from a file that is not the "root" file for the
program which just produces meaningless error output.

And it's not considered good form to put all of your
source in .h various files. Nor is it considered good form to
#include .c files. I'd like to be teaching my kids good
software concepts and I can try to explain to explain to
them that this isn't the way it's done in the real world,
but if they have no frame of reference it can be hard for
them to see that.

Author:  skatefriday [ Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: RobotC feature requests

A command line option for compiling programs would be quite nice
so that students could use the editor of their choice and/or script
certain tasks.

Author:  MikeJMcFarlane [ Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: RobotC feature requests

skatefriday wrote:
A command line option for compiling programs would be quite nice
so that students could use the editor of their choice and/or script
certain tasks.


I'd like that too. I see the subject of IDE's comes up a lot in the forums. I think it is great that there is a IDE provided by Robomatter to get you going, or for simpler projects, but it would be great to be able to use the tools in an IDE of choice for more complex projects. That way we get the benefit of the awesome firmware (and Xander's comprehensive driver suite) but can work the way we want.

Are there technical, license or other reasons why this is not possible?

Author:  skatefriday [ Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: RobotC feature requests

There was an entire new discussion from this year, a month ago, in this thread, wherein I asked about the #include of pragmas feature and someone from RobotC suggested it may be in 4.0, but that thread of comments has been deleted.

What happened?

Author:  MHTS [ Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: RobotC feature requests

It seems there was a "technical issue" last couple of weeks about MySQL update gone wrong. So some posts might have been lost. Could it be related to that?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7574

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/