View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Ultrasonic Sensor problem 
Rookie

Post Ultrasonic Sensor problem
I'm having a problem getting an ultrasonic sensor working with the RobotC firmware.

Using code like the sonar examples I seemed to get random values around 994 to 1003 that showed no correlation with changes in distance to an object in front of the sensor.

I went to the View menu on the brick and selected the US(cm) option and all I get there are ??????. Happens with different cables and ports.

I put the Lego firmware back on the brick and tried the same thing. View US(cm) reports reasonable distance values.

I put the RobotC firmware on the brick again and the US sensor quits working.

I'm using RobotC 1.10 and firmware NXT0723.rfw.

Thanks.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:16 pm
Rookie

I finally resolved my problems with the Ultrasonic sensor and thought I'd reply to my original post with what I discovered. May be this will help someone in the future.

First, the View Ultrasonic tool on the NXT brick seems to be broken when the RobotC firmware is loaded. I originally thought this was related by my problem using the sensor, but that isn't the case. It seems to be a separate issue and sent me down the wrong path debugging my problem.

The solution came when I discovered the motor and sensor 'wizard' tool. I had based my application on snippets from the sample applications that I had typed in myself or copy/pasted from the samples. I removed my code and ran the wizard to configure it for the US sensor. It auto-generated some code and after that my program started working correctly when reading values from the US sensor. The code that was generated seems to be identical to the code I wrote by hand with the exception of text formatting and comments. I even did a copy/paste of the generated code into a separate program and that program failed to read from the sensor.

So, I still have no idea why my original code didn't work but at least I've made it past this problem and can start writing something useful.

--Marc

Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:46 pm
Rookie

Thank you, I was having exactly the same problem. Your post was very helpful.

Kris

:D

Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]