View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Light Sensor 
Rookie

Post Light Sensor
Hi, I am new to RobotC but i am trying to program a robot, and my question is, can a light sensor identify a simbol? for example my robot follows a straight line but if i put a "X" or another simbol, can he identify that and stop or do another action? if so how?

Thanks, and I hope you help me.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:43 pm
Senior Roboticist

Post Re: Light Sensor
Yes, it's possible. Easy? Definitely not. Would I know how to do it? Maybe. Given a couple weeks to work on it. Do you really need it to be a symbol? It would be much easier to put a colored marker off to the side, with another light sensor looking for that.

"Don't they teach recreational mathematics anymore?" - The Tenth Doctor
Bow down to Nikola Tesla, King of the Geek Gods.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:56 pm
Profile WWW

Yes it looks like it's possible: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4454&p=18607
However, as NeXT-Generation said, it won't be easy. What are your design constraints? When I've had to do visual processing with symbols (not with the NXT) I've gotten good results without complicated code by using squares with different parts shaded in to differentiate between the symbols.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:32 pm
Guru

It also depends on your goal on "identifying" them. If you just need to differentiate between a few "known symbols", then depends on how big and complex the symbol is and if you can use multiple light sensors. If it is big and simple (e.g. a T versus a cross versus an X) you may be able to use multiple light sensors to quickly tell which one it is. For example, to detect a T from the bottom with 3 light sensors you may see 010, 010, 111 and then 000. For an X, you may see 101, 010, 101. For a cross, you may see 010, 111, 010 etc.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:25 pm
Senior Roboticist

Or, you could do as MHTS said but with the MindSensors LineLeader. It's eight individually readable light sensors in a single package, connected to one sensor port.

"Don't they teach recreational mathematics anymore?" - The Tenth Doctor
Bow down to Nikola Tesla, King of the Geek Gods.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

My idea was to do a robot that follows a line and identifies objects with touch and sonar sensor, a simple robot, but my teacher at school said that i could do more, that the robot could identifies simbols, and i know that using a colored marker is much easier, and i dont have that thingy MindSensors LineLeader, i use a NXT light sensor, and i dont have space for 3light sensors maybe 2, and yes I just need to differentiate between a few symbols like squares, or cross, i didnt do the map yet, so i dont know what exact simbols i am going to make, but i dont understand how i am going to do the code, and i dont know what are design constraints xD

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:05 pm
Rookie

i was thinking and i could take the sonar sensor, if its easier that way, and then i can put the 3light sensors, but still i dont know how am i going to write the code, but i will try to find something out.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:14 pm
Guru

icecoldvskenshei wrote:
i was thinking and i could take the sonar sensor, if its easier that way, and then i can put the 3light sensors, but still i dont know how am i going to write the code, but i will try to find something out.

"I don't know how to write the code" is a very broad question. If you can break down the problem and ask specific questions, it is much easier for the people in this forum to help. Breaking down the problem will also help you think of a solution yourself. Then if you have specific questions on how to do a certain things (e.g. how to convert a light sensor value into a 0 or 1 bit?), then it is easier for us to answer.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:18 pm
Rookie

yup i didnt know how to explain myself, but you give the example that i need it how to convert a light sensor value into a 0 or 1 bit? that is my problem

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:42 pm
Guru

The light sensor is an analog sensor, it will give you a value between 0 and 255. To convert it to a bit value, please refer to the following training video:
http://www.education.rec.ri.cmu.edu/pre ... dark1.html
Basically, you need to calibrate for a threshold value. The 1 or 0 will corresponding to whether the value read is higher or lower than the threshold value.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:54 pm

I am pretty sure the value returned by the light sensor is between 0 and 100 or 0 and 1023, depending on whether you are using the standard or raw value.

The threshold thing still stands, of course :)

Code:
int threshold = 50;
bool lineDetected(tSensors _sensor)
{
  // Return true if the value detected by the sensor is greater than "threshold"
  // which you need to define somewhere else in your program.
  return (SensorValue[_sensor] > threshold);
}

- Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:12 am
Profile WWW
Guru

mightor wrote:
I am pretty sure the value returned by the light sensor is between 0 and 100 or 0 and 1023, depending on whether you are using the standard or raw value.

The threshold thing still stands, of course :)

Sorry, you are right. That's what happen when you are playing with multiple robot platforms :)

Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:17 am
Rookie

//If sensor finds a cross

//lightsensorL = light sensor Left
//lightsensorM = light sensor Middle
//lightsensorR = light sensor Right

//value 30 = black
//value 75 = white

if (sensorValue(lightsensorL) <30)
(sensorValue(lightsensorM) >75)
(sensorValue(lightsensorR) <30)
{
motor[motorA] = 10;
motor[motorB] = 10;
}
if (sensorValue(lightsensorL) <75)
(sensorValue(lightsensorM) <30)
(sensorValue(lightsensorR) <75)
{
motor[motorA] = 10;
motor[motorB] = 10;
}
if (sensorValue(lightsensorL) <30)
(sensorValue(lightsensorM) <75)
(sensorValue(lightsensorR) <30)
{
motor[motorA] = 0;
motor[motorB] = 0;
wait10Msec;

motor[motorA] = 40;
motor[motorB] = 40;
}

My idea is something like this, but i still didnt change the sensors so i dont know if this will work. But if you have any idea that i can use i will apreciate the help.

And the value of black/white arent correct, I just saw those value on the net, so I write the code with this.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:13 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have you decided which symbols you will be looking for? If you have a known list, you might be able to do this fairly simply, actually, with only two 'checks'. For instance:

"X"....."Cross".."Square"...."T"

If that's the case, you can safely distinguish between the four of them by looking at the first two rows only. As an example, the "X" starts with 101 no matter which way you approach it, (and no other symbols do), so you know if you see a symbol that starts with 101 it's an X. For the other ones, you have to look 2 rows deep to determine which one it is. For example, 111 could mean "Square" OR it could be the "T" from the top side, just like 010 could be "Cross" from any side OR "T" from the bottom. To figure out which one it is from there, you have to check the second row; 111 followed by 101 means "Square" while 111 followed by 010 means "T" from the top.

Obviously the more symbols you have, the trickier it's going to get. My suggestion (without getting into functions) is to have the first reading determine if it's an X (which is determined right off the bat) or if it's one of the other symbols. You can then nest if statements within one another to check to see if which one it is exactly.

Code:
string symbol;

If (reading == 101) //Definitely an X
{symbol="X";}

if (reading == 010) //means it is either a Cross or a T
{
   'move forward to next reading
    if (reading == 111) //Second reading shows it's a Cross
      {symbol="Cross";}
    else                    //Otherwise it's a T
      {symbol="T"}
}

Code is very, very rough and not drag & droppable, but it gives you the general idea. If you have to go three deep, you would just have to nest another If statement within the second one. There are other ways to do this, too, such as using a series of switch statements or even using just one side sensor and always starting from the bottom (same idea, 10 would be X, 01 would be Cross, 11 would be Square, and 00 would be T; conveniently using all 4 possible combinations with no overlap).

Hope this helps get you started!

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?
~ Carly Rae Jepsen parody

Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:43 pm
Rookie

wow! thanks, that will help a lot, and it will save lots of time.

I will try that tomorrow, when i finish putting my robot all together with the right sensors.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next