View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
ROBOTC for Schools and for Mac 
Rookie

Post ROBOTC for Schools and for Mac
I love using RobotC, unforturtunately, I teach in a high school, and one that uses Mac OS. It would be great if both of these issues could be addressed:

1. The licensing for a school is very high. I managed to get the money for this year (for 6 machines only), but I may not be able to renew it for next year. It would make sense to me to give schools a better deal, or longer license terms.

2. We are a Mac school. Surely this is not a rarity. I managed to get money to pay for VMWare, to run RobotC, but again, expensive, and not really practical. I understand that porting to Mac is a big deal, but it affects so many schools (doesn't it?) Maybe this could be funded with all the money you make on licensing (see point 1 above).

I say all this because I would love to continue use the product to teach with, and these are big obstacles. I am leaving this school after this year, and I doubt that my replacement will go to the trouble I did to make this product work here. My new school is also a Mac school, and I am to teach Robotics again, but after using C, I hate the idea of going back to that awful (sluggish) Mindstorms graphical programming environment.

Tue May 29, 2012 12:23 am
Rookie

Post Re: ROBOTC for Schools and for Mac
I teach robotics, have reall enjoyed RobotC, and would like to be able to include it in our curriculum but... Everything in the OP rings true for me too. Macs only, funding is tight, and trying to explain to overhed that we should pay for, partition, and run windows on our macs will not be fruitful. Then of course I'd also have to make sure we can get both that whole setup approved and working with the schools security and safety setup. There's a lot of red tape in the public sector of education, and the solution your website offers isn't realistic for a lot of public educational facilities. As things currently stand, we'll only be using LabView. Hope you decide to market to education in the future.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:18 am
Expert

Can you point us to a web site that shows educational market share, mac vs PC? I'm curious (and did not find anything). As a lifelong developer I understand that cross platform is more of a myth than real life, it takes more than twice the effort to develop software for both platforms. And in the commercial market, the numbers just don't justify the expense (around 6% versus 84% last I looked). There are exceptions, and perhaps education is one of those. For example Adobe, Steinberg and others have invested great resources ($$$) in developing cross platform apps, but their target markets (art and music) were significantly saturated with macs. It really comes down to a simple equation; do I (as a company interested in supporting multiple platforms) make money or lose money? Not that I work for the RobotC guys, but I've been in their shoes many times.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operati ... px?qprid=8

Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:55 am

It is the same reason why there hasn't been a Linux port of ROBOTC. The development costs, coupled with the fragmentation of the Linux platform (Ubuntu, RHEL, SuSE, to name but a few) just don't justify the amount of time it takes to program, test and support anything but the Microsoft Windows platform. Even that takes testing on XP, Vista, 7 and, coming soon, 8.

Instead of using a commercial virtualisation platform, you could take a look at VirtualBox: https://www.virtualbox.org/

- Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:14 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]