View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
PC-Based Emulator - is communication possible? 
Rookie

Post PC-Based Emulator - is communication possible?
Hi!

1. I am wondering if it is possible to communicate between NXT Brick and PC-Based Emulator? It would be very usefull since a very simple program (math calculations) executed about 1000x faster on the PC-Based Emulator.

2. How much memory can PC-Based Emulator use? It would be great if it could use "unlimited" memory at least for data storage (arrays). It would be great for mapping and other applications.

3. Is it possible to upload/download files to PC-Based Emulator?

Thank you for your answers,
Tomaz

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:42 pm
Rookie

Post Re: PC-Based Emulator - is communication possible?
Hi, I was wondering the same thing, more or less.

My idea is: wouldn't it be crazy if we could simulate/emulate a Bluetooth connection from the brick to our PC (both in PC-based Emu and Virtual Worlds)?

I think a Named Pipe and some sort of configuration would do a decent job. Imagine the possibilities by simulating BT communication to other (possibly virtual) devices with their own (possibly virtual) applications. For example, VMWare Workstation allows you to add a virtual serial port to a VM, which in fact sends/receives data on a named pipe to the host OS; a little bit overkill maybe, but surely it would open countless debugging opportunities to have this kind of link: ROBOTC IDE -> Virtual Worlds <-> Virtual Machine

Imagine debugging an Android application that will let your mobile phone (attached to your robot) do the heavy AI calculations via Bluetooth... :shock:

...Maybe I should just go out and buy some hardware and stop daydreaming about hardware simulation! ;)

Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:35 pm
Senior Roboticist

Post Re: PC-Based Emulator - is communication possible?
kromosom wrote:
Hi!

1. I am wondering if it is possible to communicate between NXT Brick and PC-Based Emulator? It would be very usefull since a very simple program (math calculations) executed about 1000x faster on the PC-Based Emulator.

2. How much memory can PC-Based Emulator use? It would be great if it could use "unlimited" memory at least for data storage (arrays). It would be great for mapping and other applications.

3. Is it possible to upload/download files to PC-Based Emulator?

Thank you for your answers,
Tomaz

I would also like to know this.

"Don't they teach recreational mathematics anymore?" - The Tenth Doctor
Bow down to Nikola Tesla, King of the Geek Gods.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]