View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
3.05 Update and Install Issues 
Rookie

Post 3.05 Update and Install Issues
Guys, this rots.

I tried to do that 3.05 update, right? However, my internet security keeps blocking a file that the setup continuously tries to install. Apparently, the file "emulator.dll" is labeled as a "Heuristic Virus," and Auto-Protect keeps removing it. I could, of course, turn off my security temporarily and then reinstall the file, but there's no guarantee that it would solve anything. But this new version of ROBOTC won't run at all without the blasted program!

:downloading: :breakcomputer:

Has anyone else been experiencing something like this? I really need to get ROBOTC up and running yesterday, if you know what I mean.
Thanks in adv.

-Gondorf5-

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:35 pm
Rookie

Post Re: 3.05 Update and Install Issues
Alright, I figured out the problem and solution.
:programmer:
:!: ATTENTION NORTON SECURITY USERS :!:

If you are trying to update ROBOTC to 3.05 on a computer with "Norton Internet Security, 2011-up," there is a file in the ROBOTC program that Norton's Auto-Protect will block!

emulator.dll is catagorized as a "heuristic virus," which is from what I can interpret a potential malware that can be capable of mutating from a normally low-risk virus to something possibly far more dangerous. As of now, I'm not positive if the file that comes with ROBOTC 3.05 contains an actual virus, but when I read the details I was more than a little hesitative to let down my Norton Security long enough to let that program in.

If you do try to update ROBOTC to 3.05, it will remove 3.04 and install all but emulator.dll. Without this file, ROBOTC can NOT run.

I spoke with the ROBOTC guys on Facebook. They suggested what I am about to tell you, but I'll give you more specific instructions on how to continue using ROBOTC:

:arrow: NOTE :!: This method works on computers that run on the Windows 7 OS. I am not sure if some of the places I mention exist on Apple Mac computers. If you do have a Mac computer and it this method doesn't work, I suggest contacting ROBOTC through their Facebook page or their Site Support page.

1. I would NOT recommend turning your security off to install the program; even if the file in question is safe, there are methods of planting viruses onto safe programs.

2. Instead, ROBOTC and I recommend going to the Control Panel and selecting Uninstal Programs (earlier OS versions will probably call this the Add/Remove Programs window)

3. Hunt down the program with either "Robomatter Inc." or "ROBOTC 3.05 MINDSTORMS" on the list.

4. Click "Remove" or "Uninstall" and follow the Uninstall Wizard.

5. Now that you've gotten rid of ROBOTC 3.05, locate the ROBOTCforMINDSTORMS_304.exe file. If you're like me, then you might have accidentally saved it to your Downloads folder. If not and you don't know any other way to locate it on your computer, go to ROBOTC Facebook or Support and either find the Archives page or ask them for a link to version 3.04.

6. Install ROBOTC MINDSTORMS 3.04 as normal. Your computer will now run ROBOTC MINDSTORMS 3.04 instead of failing to run 3.05. Again, this is for people who have "NORTON Internet Security 2011 and 2012," and also specifically the Windows 7 Operating System.

I hope this helps anyone who needs it.
Thanks ROBOTC :!:

-Gondorf5-

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:40 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: 3.05 Update and Install Issues
To add to our findings, we've run our file "Emulator.dll" through an anti-virus test scan which scans using a hundred different anti-virus software. The results came out all clean.

We are still working to figure out why it's being picked up as a virus, and will report back ASAP when we find an answer.

For now, if you do not feel comfortable allowing the file to pass, then please feel free to follow these instructions to roll back to 3.04.

Robotc.net| Robomatter Store | Robotics Academy | CS2N

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]