Re: 3.05 Update and Install Issues
Alright, I figured out the problem and solution.
ATTENTION NORTON SECURITY USERS
If you are trying to update ROBOTC to 3.05 on a computer with "Norton Internet Security, 2011-up," there is a file in the ROBOTC program that Norton's Auto-Protect will block!
emulator.dll is catagorized as a "heuristic virus," which is from what I can interpret a potential malware that can be capable of mutating from a normally low-risk virus to something possibly far more dangerous. As of now, I'm not positive if the file that comes with ROBOTC 3.05 contains an actual virus, but when I read the details I was more than a little hesitative to let down my Norton Security long enough to let that program in.
If you do try to update ROBOTC to 3.05, it will remove 3.04 and install all but emulator.dll. Without this file, ROBOTC can NOT run.
I spoke with the ROBOTC guys on Facebook. They suggested what I am about to tell you, but I'll give you more specific instructions on how to continue using ROBOTC:
This method works on computers that run on the Windows 7 OS. I am not sure if some of the places I mention exist on Apple Mac computers. If you do have a Mac computer and it this method doesn't work, I suggest contacting ROBOTC through their Facebook page or their Site Support page.
1. I would NOT recommend turning your security off to install the program; even if the file in question is safe, there are methods of planting viruses onto safe programs.
2. Instead, ROBOTC and I recommend going to the Control Panel and selecting Uninstal Programs (earlier OS versions will probably call this the Add/Remove Programs window)
3. Hunt down the program with either "Robomatter Inc." or "ROBOTC 3.05 MINDSTORMS" on the list.
4. Click "Remove" or "Uninstall" and follow the Uninstall Wizard.
5. Now that you've gotten rid of ROBOTC 3.05, locate the ROBOTCforMINDSTORMS_304.exe file. If you're like me, then you might have accidentally saved it to your Downloads folder. If not and you don't know any other way to locate it on your computer, go to ROBOTC Facebook or Support and either find the Archives page or ask them for a link to version 3.04.
6. Install ROBOTC MINDSTORMS 3.04 as normal. Your computer will now run ROBOTC MINDSTORMS 3.04 instead of failing to run 3.05. Again, this is for people who have "NORTON Internet Security 2011 and 2012," and also specifically the Windows 7 Operating System.
I hope this helps anyone who needs it.