View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
suggestion to extend file functions features 

Post Re: suggestion to extend file functions features
I like this idea a lot. A very nice suggestion.

- Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: suggestion to extend file functions features
I like this idea as well, but it does go against what we strive to do with ROBOTC - which is to make the software run on the Robot alone with the Robot's processor as the sole source of computational power.

This methodology requires that the robot be connected to the debugger. It also requires either the firmware (VM) or the compiler to be able to traverse the directory tree on the computer. This also falls apart as soon as your take the USB cable away from the Robot. Also, since we use the National Instruments developed "Fantom" driver, I'm not even sure we could do something of this nature over Bluetooth as well.

The NXT also would have to be able to handle the processing of the memory, and to do this it would have to load the data into the RAM of the system - Which the NXT only has 64kb (and some of it is being used for ROBOTC's VM) - A logistical issue of swapping/paging the data from the file into the NXT and not really being able to have it all "on demand" could arise from this.

There are a number of systems that can do something similar to this (LabVIEW & MS Robotics Studio), but in those modes the robot is only acting as a simple DAQ or Pass-through device and the computing power is occurring on the main PC.

I could see something of the nature of being able to write the debug stream to a text file as a way of doing some dynamic data logging (in a custom format) - That seems to be a more realistic feature than being able to read/write text files from the PC.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]