View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
datalog retrieval from an RCX 
Rookie

Post datalog retrieval from an RCX
RobotC Developers,

I am using ROBOTC for Mindstorms 1.10 with the RCX platform. The datalog functionality appears mostly in-tact except for the final step of uploading it to the PC. I suspect the uploading functionality worked at some point in the past because the UploadDatalod() function is documented as an internal RobotC function. However, with the 1.00 and 1.10 RobotC releases, I cannot figure out how to retrieve the datalog to a file on the host PC. I've scoured the documentation in RobotC and online, but cannot find a working example of collecting data and uploading it to the PC.

The sample program I'm using is here:

Code:
task main()
{
   int i=0;
   float k=3.0;

CreateDatalog(101); // reserve this many (bytes? ints? shorts?) for the data log

for (i=1; i<=10; i++)
   {
      AddToDatalog( k*i );
      SetUserDisplay( (int) k*i ); // display data log counter on LCD; integers only
      wait1Msec(1);
   }

wait1Msec(5000);

UploadDatalog(1, 100);

return;
}

By watching the Datalog debug window, it appears the log is successfully created and populated (partially, as per the for loop indices). Based on the green light on the USB IR tower after the 5 second pause, it appears the UploadDatalog() command executes successfully and transmits something, presumably the datalog. However there are no new files on the PC afterward.

There are no menu items in the RobotC IDE with the RCX platform setting, the help does not explain how the datalog upload is supposed to happen, and there are no examples in the C sample files for the RCX.

What are the exact steps to retrieve the datalog? Did this functionality disappear for the RCX from RobotC's IDE? We made our classroom license purchase based on the documentation that said data logging was available for both the RCX and NXT and we definitely need this functionality. It looks like the IDE contains the data in a buffer somewhere and need to know how to access it. Lastly, I have tried both RCX firmware files in the 1.10 release with no apparent differences.

How can I retrieve the datalog from the RCX?

Thanks,
Marc

Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]