View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
no IDE 
Rookie

Post no IDE
Hello

I am interested in downloading programs without using the IDE. Is it possible IDE to compile a program and a 3rd program download it?

On the other hand, is there a command line option?

Thanks

Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:56 pm
Creator
Creator

At the present time there is no command line option for downloading.

And I would like to understand why you think you need a separate capability to download programs. The format of ROBOTC program files is pretty complicated and it would be difficult to reproduce outside of the ROBOTC compile/link tools.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:34 am
Rookie

I want to create a GUI to control robots with certain commands.

Once I have created the programs I need, I have to attach them to the GUI, so this is the reason I need to separate compile and download: I will create them with robotC, and will make use of them with my own GUI.

I dont need to reproduce the compile/link tools. I just need to create the executable files for them and download/execute each of them with my process when my GUI demmands.

Sincerely, I think you made the hard job with the IDE -greetings!!- , why not command line option, something very typical to C world?

Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:35 am
Creator
Creator

Currently the compiler is tightly coupled with the IDE. This was a deliberate design decision to provide an easy to use interface for novices.

There is a separate Fantom.dll that you can call from C (or preferably C++) that may meet your needs. You need to be familiar with Windows development to use it. You can find it in the SDK (Software Development Kit) downloadable from LEGO's site. It contains functions you can call to start/stop programs, download/upload files, control motors/sensors, etc. Take a look at it and let me know if it meets your needs.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]