View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
ROBOTC for Mindstorms 1.56 Alpha 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post ROBOTC for Mindstorms 1.56 Alpha
Hi Guys...

New build time. We've upgraded our codebase, so you may notice things look different.
http://www.robotc.net/downloads/ROBOTC_ ... _Alpha.exe

Due to the MFC 9.0 upgrade, the install size has blimped up a little bit... we're working on bringing this down, however.

Please keep any notes about this build to this post. I'm sure some stuff is busted, so that's why this is an ALPHA rather than a BETA.

Change Log:
Code:
Version 1.55, Firmware 7.68
•   Added integrity check to confirm that ROBOTC and not NXT-G is loaded.
•   Number of compiler errors and warnings is now displayed in the status bar at the bottom of the ROBOTC IDE window.
•   Added ROBOTC IDE GUI migrated to latest Microsoft GUI standards.
o   Better toolbar ICONs
o   Toolbars can be small or large, with or without optional text
o   Appearance conforms to latest Windows standards.
o   Docking “Debugger” windows with optional auto-hide or floating modes.
o   Windows VISTA only. Debugger windows containing lists (e.g. Global variable display) can have column auto sized simply by double clicking on the column divider.
•   Improved toolbars
o   New toolbar added for debugger
•   Separate window pane for “error list” and “find in files” list. Previously they shared a single pane.

Version 1.54, Firmware 7.68
•   NXT Tetrix. Increased the number of available 12V motors from 4 to 8. Fixed problem that might occur when HiTechnic motor controllers were assigned to sensor ports S2, S3 or S4.
•   VEX hardware will not function properly if digital output sensors have lower port numbers than analog ports; this applies to digital output ports, sonar ports and quad encoder ports. The code to generate error messages on this condition was not working for digital output ports. This has been corrected.
•   When an array was passed as a parameter to a function sometimes the compiler was not generating correct code when the array was referenced within the function using array indices that are all constant values. The compiler code optimizer was generating incorrect code in some cases.
•   “%c” formatting (for char sized variables) is now properly handled.
•   “CSV” file types have been added as another file type for displaying files on the NXT on-brick menu.
•   Increased the number of tasks on NXT (and VEX2) robots to 20.
•   Error message when total number of tasks exceeded was not being properly generated. This has been fixed. It was broken with the change that removed the assignment of a task number to an unreferenced task.
•   Compiler was not properly checking the “typedef” matching on local parameters to procedures. So, for example, if the parameter was a ‘struct’ the compiler might not have always accepted it without error.

Version 1.53, Firmware 7.67
•   Firmware downloading via VEXNET was not always working due to an incorrectly initialized variable. Corrected.
•   Conditional comparisons between signed byte and unsigned byte variables was not always compiling to correct code. This would sometimes cause conditional blocks of (if…then or while statements) to be incorrectly executed during run time.

Version 1.51, Firmware 7.66
•   Added new boolean variable to indicate whether VEX is using legacy RF transmission or newer VEXNET WiFi transmission.
•   Added support for new “Robot Dance” / “Robot Algebra” feature.
•   Increased maximum size of nested subroutine calls for VEX firmware from four to six calls.
•   Tested new support for ‘unsigned’ char variables. ‘unsigned’ only works for ‘char’ variables. Not currently supported with ‘short’ and ‘long’.
•   Added initialization string to VEX on startup to print readable version of user and master firmware version. Useful for software inspection during a VEX competition.

Version 1.50, Firmware 7.64
•   Rewrote the “Servo Control” debugger window to make it easier to adjust servos. New window has increment / decrement buttons for adjusting position. And holding button down will continuously increment/decrement window. Window was extended to work with VEX platform; previously it only worked on the NXT / FTC platform. Added check box to selectively disable individual servos. Added support for taking a snapshot of servo positions and storing into a user’s source code; a useful function for things like servo sequencing applications like a biped walking robot.
•   New function, “StringFind”, added to find the first position of a substring within a string.
•   Variable “nPgmTime” (the number of milliseconds a program has been running) was incorrectly being incremented when program was suspended due to a breakpoint. Fixed.
•   Improved compiler code optimization for indirect references to structure elements.
•   Keywords longer than 45 characters were not being properly “colorized” in the text window. The maximum length of keywords for syntax coloring has been increased to 65 characters.
•   “Motors and Setup Wizard” was losing the “motor reversed” check box if the “motor name” was blank. Corrected.
•   Compiler was sometimes allocating excess space for temporary variables. Corrected. This was a benign bug and did not impact program correctness. It occasionally allowed large programs on platforms (RCX, VEX) with limited RAM memory to prematurely run out of memory for allocation.
•   NXT firmware was not properly handling filenames that contain ‘.’ (periods) that were not simply the separator between the name and the file extension. This is now handled properly.
•   If there is a bug in the ROBOTC compiler that causes it to crash the ROBOTC IDE then you can get into a situation where it is not possible to re-open the ROBOTC IDE without it re-crashing. This is because it may automatically try to open and recompile the last project that was opened when it is started up. The IDE will detect the situation when ROBOTC has not properly exited and will prevent auto open of the last project to allow recovery from this situation.
•   “sqrt” function has been changed to always return a “float” value. This is identical behavior to most common C language libraries used with other compilers.
•   New compiler option added to allow underscores within a numeric constant to improve readability. For example “123_456” will be treated as “123456”. This option is enabled by default, but can be turned off from via the “Compiler” tab in the preferences. The idea for this option was obtained from other C compilers which have extended the compiler with this option.
•   Upgraded to VEX Master version 8. This provides preliminary support for the new VEXNET Wi-Fi interface.
•   Enhanced VEX firmware to provide continuous background polling of analog sensor values. Previously, an analog to digital conversion was performed every time user program retrieved an analog sensor value. The new implementation is more real-time efficient.
•   Minor bug in compiler code optimize with conditional branches fixed. Only applies to “Release” compilation.
•   Minor tweak to the Bluetooth “factory reset” command to shorten the time of reset and ensure that friendly name was preserved across a reset.

Version 1.49, Firmware 7.63
•   A new option has been added to the “Preferences” tab for “Compiler” to create a PC hex file of the object file for a compiled program. This applies the the NXT, FTC, VEX and FRC platforms only.
•   Added file system for VEX robots equipped with the new LCD display. Up to 16 different programs can now be stored on a single VEX robot. The user can select which program to run via the new VEX LCD.
•   Added “File Management” IDE window for VEX file system.
•   Added integrity check to ensure VEX master firmware version is latest version.
•   Added support for the new VEX Accelerometer and Gyro sensors.
•   Legacy RCX sensors were accidentally excluded from the list of sensors when using RCX unless the “Allow RCX legacy sensors” preferences check mark was checked. They are now always included when the platform type is RCX.

Version 1.48, Firmware 7.62
•   Fixed a minor bug in VEX firmware when motor is reversed and power level is -128.
•   Fixed minor bug in converting ‘char’ values to ‘long’. It only occurred in programs with lots of variables and the ‘char’ value is an array variable or call by reference variable.

Version 1.47, Firmware 7.61
•   Warning message on the use of ‘unsigned’ keyword for char size variables was not being properly generated. It has been restored.
•   The variable ‘nShutdownVoltage’ is only implemented for the RCX. It did nothing on the NXT. It has been removed as a built-in variable on the NXT.
•   The “Motor and Sensor Setup” command was not working properly with legacy RCX sensors if the “use legacy RCX checkbox” option was not clicked. This could cause pre-existing programs that use legacy sensors to lose the definition if the configuration was edited. This has been fixed.
•   For the VEX version of ROBOTC.
o   A PC joystick Control window has been added.
o   A remote desktop feature for the new VEX LCD has been added.

Version 1.46, Firmware 7.60
•   “Tab” key has been added as alternative to “Enter” key to select “Auto completion” entry.
•   New sample program added to calibrate a HiTechnic Compass.
•   HiTechnic Motor Controller does not always invoking motor “brake” mode. Alternative implementation now always properly enters brake mode.
•   Corrected a minor bug that was recently introduced in the Global Variables debugger window. It only applies to programs with lots of variables. If the first variable displayed was assigned an odd byte boundary, the display would be incorrect showing variable values calculated incorrectly. User programs continued to function correctly.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:45 pm

Post Re: ROBOTC for Mindstorms 1.56 Alpha
Tim,

Thanks for the new release and the detailed changelog! I can't wait to take it for a test drive.

Regards,
Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:46 pm
Profile WWW

BUG: Revert to original file causes the editor window to be "stuck".

How to recreate:
  • Open a sample file (or any other file)
  • Hit the "revert to original file" item in File
  • The editor now becomes unresponsive. It works fine again when opening a new file, it only seems to freeze the editor window.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

FYI, this does not have a adRAW command implemented yet. That's coming soon :)

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:11 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

This has been a bug for a while... it's a screen redraw issue. We're working on just increasing the undo buffer (and not having it purge after compile) to remove these features since they've never worked as we intended.

mightor wrote:
BUG: Revert to original file causes the editor window to be "stuck".

How to recreate:
  • Open a sample file (or any other file)
  • Hit the "revert to original file" item in File
  • The editor now becomes unresponsive. It works fine again when opening a new file, it only seems to freeze the editor window.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:13 pm

Tim,

I am sure Dick will let me know if he's got a fix for the adraw thing :)

Do you have a list of known issues? That will save you getting reports about bugs you already know about.

Regards,
Xander

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:24 pm
Profile WWW

Tim,

I was scouring through the eventlog on my Windows 7 box and noticed one entry about RobotC in there. For the record, this is a 64bit platform I am running it on.

Code:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        SideBySide
Date:          11-Jun-09 22:28:49
Event ID:      33
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      leviathan
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "H:\Program Files (x86)\Robotics Academy\ROBOTC for Mindstorms\RobotC.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="SideBySide" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49409">33</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-06-11T20:28:49.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>439</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>leviathan</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8"</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>H:\Program Files (x86)\Robotics Academy\ROBOTC for Mindstorms\RobotC.exe</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:54 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very interesting... I'd assume you would need the x64 dependencies if you're running Win7, so it's odd that it's asking for the x86 ones.

Those dependencies are included with the ROBOTC EXE file (hence why it blimped to like 28MB). I'll see what I can find on this, though.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:04 am

Tim,

The Windows 7 install was completely fresh. Could that have something to do with it?

Regards,
Xander

Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:11 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

mightor wrote:
Tim,

The Windows 7 install was completely fresh. Could that have something to do with it?

Regards,
Xander

...Shouldn't, as the redistributables are included with the EXE package. Looks like I should go get Win7 X64 and see what's up.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:28 pm

Tim,

It's available for the low low price of....$0!

Regards,
Xander

Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:32 pm
Profile WWW

Tim,

I just installed it on a Windows 7 32bit VM (no other software other than RC) and I found the following in my event viewer:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Robotics Academy\ROBOTC for Mindstorms\RobotC.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

So basically the same error as above on the 64 bit box.

Is this the thing that is missing on my system?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Regards,
xander

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:35 pm
Profile WWW

Tim,

I did some more testing. I reinstalled a new 32 bit Windows 7 VM, did all the updates and then slapped the MS C++ 2008 runtime on it. I used the SP1 version. After that I installed RobotC and no errors appeared in the event viewer.

Regards,
Xander

Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:29 am
Profile WWW

Tim,

I am having weird results when configuring the sensors and motors. When I select "I2C Custom" as the sensor type, I get the following:
Code:
#pragma config(Sensor, S2,     NXTCAM,              sensorNxtgSONARCm)

That doesn't look right to me.

Regards,
Xander

Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:43 pm
Profile WWW

Code:
  _tmpheading = (_tmpheading < 0) ? (_tmpheading + 360) : _tmpheading;

Causes the following error:
**Severe*:Internal:: 'assign location' is same as 'exppression location' on simple assignment. Recursive proc call or 'cast' may cause this.

This worked fine with 1.46 and 1.47

Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next