Welcome to the homepage for the development of the ROBOTC Multi-Robot project. This page is the central location for all materials developed during the Multi-Robot Research Project. The developed materials will include examples, slideshows, labs, experiments, challenges and videos teaching concepts and lessons around Multi-Robot Communications.
The technology goal of the Multi-Robot project is to build commands and utilities into ROBOTC to allow students and hobbyists to learn more about Multi-Robot communication technology and concepts. The project will focus on three different hardware platforms: The LEGO Mindstorms NXT, the VEX Robotics VEX Cortex and the Arduino family of processors. In order to achieve communication between similar and different hardware systems, the Multi-Robot project is based around using the Xbee Wireless Radio created by Digi International. Using low-cost carrier boards, users can use the same radio system on any supported platform.
The educational goal of the project is to bring advanced concepts such a multiple robot coordination, autonomous path planning and task distribution among multiple robots. We want to simplify the ideas to a pre-college level and by successfully doing this, we will be able to allow more students to become familiar with the future of robots in the 21st century. We believe in the future that multiple robots will be working together to complete complex tasks and activities and students will need to understand these concepts to succeed in a career with robotics.
Please take a look around and if you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to comment on our forums at: Multi-Robot Forums
- Background: What is Multi-Robot Communications?
- Setup: Hardware Requirements and Configuration
- Sending and Receiving Messages (One-Way)
- Sending and Receiving Messages (Two-Way)
- Sending and Parsing Command Messages
- Creating, Sending and Parsing Parameterized Messages
- Multi-Robot Library File for NXT/Cortex (XbeeTools.h)
- Introduction to Multi-Robot Slides (PDF)
- Introduction to Multi-Robot Slides (PPT)
Multi-Robot Labs (with Solutions and Exercises)
- Transmit Copy and Collect
- Seeing Eye Robot
- Perimeter Measurement
- Remote Control (simple)
- Remote Control (advanced)
- IR Team Proximity Detection
- IR Scoring a Goal
Other Labs and Lab Ideas
- Basic Communication Arduino
- RFID Example Project
- Moving in a Geometric Shape Together
- 2 Robots Meeting Up
- Facing a Moving Robot