Archive for the ‘Level Builder’ tag
Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you know we are changing the time for today’s Google Hangout webinar to 6pm EST. We will be talking about the Robot Virtual Worlds’ Level Builder and Model Importer! We hope you’re able to attend and join in on the discussion! Visit http://ROBOTC.net/hangouts to join us and watch the live video stream.
Thank you to everyone who downloaded the new RVW Level Builder and provided feedback! We’ve released version 2.01 of the software, which addresses the issues some of you were seeing. It can be downloaded here, under Available Level Packs.
If you haven’t tried out the Level Builder, you definitely should. It allows you to create your own challenges to solve and share with others. (More detail can be found here, in the original blog post) The latest version even includes the Model Importer, which allows you to use your own 3D objects that were created in Autodesk Inventor and SolidWorks:
Here are the major fixes in this release:
- Fixed some large models getting distorted on import
- Auto-generated collider can now be edited
- Added error reporting readout to Model Importer to improve debugging
- Fixed crash conditions when model library is empty
- Removed scale reference from generated model thumbnails
- STL importer better handles small differences in ASCII STL file formats
Thanks again to everyone who provided feedback!
- Jesse Flot
The RVW team is excited to announce our latest update to the RVW Level Builder, which allows you to create, share, and solve your own virtual challenges! Download it here! This update includes a long list of new features and improvements, and you’ll discover the biggest change when you select the new IMPORT button in Build mode:
Pressing the IMPORT button will launch the RVW Model Importer. Until now, your challenges have been limited to the objects that we’ve prepackaged with the Level Builder. With the Model Importer, you can import any object that you’ve created in SolidWorks or Autodesk Inventor (saved as .STL files) and use them in your virtual challenges. Check out this video for a quick overview:
The Model Importer is an extremely powerful and versatile tool. Once you import your object, you can customize its level of detail, color, scale, mass, and many other properties that affect how it will behave in the 3D Virtual world.
Once you’ve imported an object and set its properties, you can use it in your virtual challenges, just like any of the included objects.
To support you as work with the Level Builder and Model Importer, we’ve created a series of 6 short tutorial videos that teach you everything that you need to know:
Don’t have Inventor or SolidWorks installed on your computer? An educational license of Autodesk Inventor is available for free to students and teachers and Solidworks offers a 60-day free trial for educators. If you’d like to try out the Model Importer right away, here is a .ZIP file you can download that contains a few models you can use: Sample Model Importer Files.
Other changes to the RVW Level Builder include:
- The new default directory for your levels is in your Documents folder, making it easier to share your files
- New robot models with improved graphics, physics, and performance
- The ability to view your levels in 3D in Build mode (right-click your mouse and drag to activate)
- Lots of small fixes and performance improvements
Written by Ryan Cahoon and Jesse Flot
We’ve just produced an exciting video that shows off the new RVW Level Builder! Check it out to see how easy it is to get started with the powerful new software.
Download the initial version of the software, here. For more information on the Level Builder, visit this page.
The project that you’ve all been waiting for is here at last! We are thrilled to announce that our first version of the Robot Virtual World Level Builder is now available. Configure your own levels out of a wide selection of classroom-themed assets: balls, cylinders, boxes, walls, line tracking tiles, and more. Challenge yourself, or share your levels with students, classmates, or teammates. It’s a free download for all ROBOTC for RVW users, so what are you waiting for?
Once you have the Level Builder installed, you can launch it within ROBOTC by going to Window > Open RVW Level Builder Utility. (Note that you must have ROBOTC 3.50 or newer installed, and that Virtual Worlds must be selected as your Platform Type.)
- Use CREATE to configure your own virtual world level out of classroom themed assets.
- Use PLAY to program a virtual robot to complete a level generated in CREATE mode.
- Drag-and-drop cubes, cylinders, balls, walls, and line tracking tiles onto the table to configure your level.
- Use the PROPERTIES panel to adjust the orientation of the objects.
- Zoom in and out on the table using the slider in the bottom right.
- Your virtual robot will always start on the START tile, facing out.
- Be creative!!!
Once you’ve configured the table to your heart’s content, save it, and press PLAY.
- SELECT LEVEL will automatically be populated with the table that you just configured.
- Additional demo levels are included in the download.
- Choose from several available robots, each with their details listed on the screen.
- Press START LEVEL to load your level with the currently selected robot.
Your level will load with the robot that you selected.
- Compile and Download ROBOTC code to solve the challenge.
- Switch quickly between BUILD MODE and LEVEL SELECTION as you create your perfect level.
- USE the “WASD” keys to easily check out the level before writing code or passing it on to your students or fellow classmates.
More instructions, details, and videos are coming soon! We would love to hear what you think of the Level Builder, so let us know! Any feedback and suggestions are welcome. Most of all, have fun!