Archive for September 19th, 2012
The project that you’ve all been waiting for is here at last! We are thrilled to announce that our first version of the Robot Virtual World Level Builder is now available. Configure your own levels out of a wide selection of classroom-themed assets: balls, cylinders, boxes, walls, line tracking tiles, and more. Challenge yourself, or share your levels with students, classmates, or teammates. It’s a free download for all ROBOTC for RVW users, so what are you waiting for?
Once you have the Level Builder installed, you can launch it within ROBOTC by going to Window > Open RVW Level Builder Utility. (Note that you must have ROBOTC 3.50 or newer installed, and that Virtual Worlds must be selected as your Platform Type.)
- Use CREATE to configure your own virtual world level out of classroom themed assets.
- Use PLAY to program a virtual robot to complete a level generated in CREATE mode.
- Drag-and-drop cubes, cylinders, balls, walls, and line tracking tiles onto the table to configure your level.
- Use the PROPERTIES panel to adjust the orientation of the objects.
- Zoom in and out on the table using the slider in the bottom right.
- Your virtual robot will always start on the START tile, facing out.
- Be creative!!!
Once you’ve configured the table to your heart’s content, save it, and press PLAY.
- SELECT LEVEL will automatically be populated with the table that you just configured.
- Additional demo levels are included in the download.
- Choose from several available robots, each with their details listed on the screen.
- Press START LEVEL to load your level with the currently selected robot.
Your level will load with the robot that you selected.
- Compile and Download ROBOTC code to solve the challenge.
- Switch quickly between BUILD MODE and LEVEL SELECTION as you create your perfect level.
- USE the “WASD” keys to easily check out the level before writing code or passing it on to your students or fellow classmates.
More instructions, details, and videos are coming soon! We would love to hear what you think of the Level Builder, so let us know! Any feedback and suggestions are welcome. Most of all, have fun!
New Robot: Clawbot
- Clawbot features a 4-wheel, 2-motor drive system, an arm motor, a gripper, and the full array of sensors. Best of all, it’s fully programmable in ROBOTC!
- Additional sample code for Clawbot is installed with the update, and can be downloaded here.
Pre-loads and Automatic Scoring
- Both Gripperbot and Scooperbot can be pre-loaded with a sack! You can control what side the robot starts on, whether it gets a pre-load, and enable the autonomous duration all from the main menu.
- Scoring is fully implemented in this new version.
- Earn normal points from sacks, bonus points from bonus sacks, and even more bonus points from the autonomous bonus and “parking” your robot before time runs out.
- A cool, new timer and scoreboard keeps track of the match in the top-left corner of the window. Compete with your classmates or teammates to see who can get the highest score before time runs out!
- Driver Control loads are also implemented once the autonomous period ends. Introduce them into the playing field by clicking on the green sack icons in the top-right corner.
- Ever wonder why your Ultrasonic sensor “sees” the values that it does? Enable the new Sensor View to see what’s triggering the Ultrasonic sensor and the heading of your compass.
- We’ve improved the robot-sack interaction on all of the robots.
- The lighting and contrast of the game have been enhanced, making it easier to grab and score the sacks.
- Lots of small tweaks and adjustments.
To view the original post for the VEX Sack Attack virtual world (complete with video), visit this link.